AWS Storage Gateway Review

Stable solution but the setup is complex and requires expertise

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is simple. When you need especially high performance, and require the cache or a local copy of your data, you can't afford the round trip to the cloud and back each time you want to read something. So you keep your information stored locally, cached locally, and then the major repository is in the cloud.

What is most valuable?

The stability is probably the most valuable aspect of the product.

What needs improvement?

The product could be improved by making the setup process simpler.

I've been using the product for a couple of years.

The stability has to be a given. Without that, you wouldn't use the product. It needs to be a reliable solution.

In terms of scalability, it really depends on the organization. Some may need to expand, for others it's not necessary. But the product is readily scalable.

I haven't personally had contact with technical support but others in the organization have. Generally speaking, we are happy with the service but sometimes they carry out maintenance on the product without informing us which leads to unexpected downtime and some issues.

The initial setup takes some hours. It could be simplified and that would make the user experience better. It's quite complex and requires some expertise to set up, connect to the cloud, and open.

I'm not familiar with the financial side and don't know much about the setup cost but as mentioned we don't use it for production.

What other advice do I have?

We implement both on-premise and in the cloud.

There is room for improvement in the product, especially with the setup process which is not simple.

I would rate this product a seven out of 10.