AWS Storage Gateway Review

Flexible, stable, and easy to configure

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution as a gateway to AWS's storage solutions. It's a bundle of different services. We have it so that we can archive data and restore data from the archive.

What is most valuable?

The solution is quite inexpensive, which is its most valuable feature.

It's a cloud storage solution, which makes it quite flexible. If you have one terabyte today and need ten tomorrow, it's not a problem.

It's really easy to configure and use.

What needs improvement?

Since the configuration and maintenance is done by the client most of the time, it's hard to know if there are any issues with the solution. I haven't heard of any.

We've had issues with bandwidth in the past, and we don't know where the bottlenecks are. We're not sure if it's on the AWS side or with the clients or the configuration in between. There's no visibility.

The solution should also be more clear on the pricing. It can be misleading because it looks so low at first but then can get to be quite expensive. It might be better if they charged upfront.

I've been working with AWS and various AWS solutions since 2016, so, for about three or four years now. For Storage Gateway specifically, I've been working with it for only six months to a year now.

The solution is quite stable. We haven't faced any issues with it at all.

The solution is extremely scalable and users can do so quite quickly if they need to. It's the nature of cloud storage as a whole.

I've never been in direct contact with technical support myself.

I only use the solution and did not handle the implementation, so I don't know if the initial setup is straightforward or not.

Everything in the cloud is more agile, so I assume deployment of the solution is quite quick.

Storage Gateway acts as a connection to AWS Storage. At the moment, I'm working with S3 Storage in AWS, which is really cheap. However, cloud computing can get costly. It's a bit misleading because the original offering is low, but it can escalate and get expensive.

What other advice do I have?

Our organization works with an Amazon partner as preferred services consultants.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. If there was more visibility into where issues originated when we had bandwidth problems, I'd give it a higher mark simply because it would help us better handle the issues we sometimes have. Also, because I'm not maintaining or configuring it myself, it's hard for me to fully gauge how well the product operates.

However, I do find the solution to be quite flexible and it is evolving quickly.

I'd warn others considering implementing it to follow the proper training and make sure it is configured properly.