AWS Training and Certification Review

Cost-effective and simple to use, full support that is excellent

What is our primary use case?

We use AWS for a large corporate client, currently migrating applications to AWS. Everything was within the company's data-center but it was becoming too costly to maintain and retain staff. We have had a few costly downtimes, which is always a panic and requires calling in staff to work through the night. With AWS, all of this is taken care of.

The huge advantage with AWS is the cost and simplicity to use. We are in the process of migrating our applications.

How has it helped my organization?

It was decided that all staff should become AWS certified. We started the cloud migration process around October 2020. We currently have 50 certified developers within our organisation.

We are more confident that our developers can handle the new environment. Our board would only allow the migration to AWS after we had a specific number of certified developers. Due to COVID, training was the only option, as we have a hold on recruitment.

Certification is easy if you have the right training, I recommend https://www.udemy.com/course/e...

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the number of options available and the price. The price comparison is between the cloud and our in-house staff and the cost of running the data-centre, which includes rental, electricity, and other utilities like insurance, etc. Then, we all have to run an off-premise disaster recovery site with the same costs. Our concern was the POPI act, but AWS addresses that quite well.

What needs improvement?

More training videos, especially on how-to, with step-by-step guides. Full hands-on labs for different environments like Angular would be really good. I am planning to make a video soon, and I am going to have to dedicate some time to this. It will be a complete, pragmatic, hands-on training guide and I will send an update as soon as it is completed.

We have been using AWS Training and Certification for two years.

On our initial pilot project on AWS, we have not had any downtime.

There are no limitations with AWS, you pay for what you use.

The support is excellent. W have had full support and guided assistance with setup.

We switched from Azure, but this is only due to the cost implications. Our initial plan was to go with Azure and use AWS as a disaster recovery solution.

There is a steep learning curve, but after the training, it is a pleasure to work with AWS.

We worked directly with AWS.

A huge cost saving, can't disclose any figures, but it is significant.

AWS has a good pricing calculator and the training on their site will assist in using it.

We have looked at Azure and Google Cloud, and the most cost-effective for us under these circumstances was AWS. The certification was quick and our developers were quick to get a grip on AWS.

What other advice do I have?

Get certified, it will make the migration much easier and the cost implications will be better understood. I have created a Udemy course that will help anyone pass their exam easily, search for Ruven Naidoo on Udemy to search for it or click this link https://www.udemy.com/course/e...

Private Cloud