AWS WAF Review

Integrates well with our existing AWS solution, but the UI is lacking

What is our primary use case?

We use it to protect our backend services.

How has it helped my organization?

Because it integrates with the existing AWS solution, we get a lot of support without having to do much extra work. It has helped increase staff productivity and has probably saved at least one engineer, not having to have an engineer on staff for it.

What is most valuable?

• It's simple, easy to use.
  • Integration.

What needs improvement?

The user experience, the interface, is lacking. Sometimes it's hard to find certain areas that it has alerted on. Also, more fine-tuning would be convenient.

We haven't had any problems with it.

We haven't run into any scale issues at the moment.

AWS, in general, has good support.

We were using just the built-in Amazon intrusion detection stuff. Then we decided to go for an actual full-blown WAF. We weren't using any actual WAF before. WAF is a general solution that we knew that we needed. It's a standard security measure.

It was relatively simple, for the integration.

There are different scale options available for WAF.

What other advice do I have?

The integration with AWS is simple and can get you off the ground and going quickly. But you could, over time, outgrow it.

We're working on having a more mature security portfolio. This allows us to have a different tool in the belt, to measure different issues that might pop up.

I would rate the solution as a six out of ten because of its relative ease of use. However, it's not as configurable as a third-party option.