AWS WAF Review

Makes sure files are protected, but the solution should be more proactive in detecting threats

What is our primary use case?

It's all about the security of the cloud system.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved our organization a lot because before we were having problems with access management. Things have gotten better using this product. It's protecting the files. It has been the best step for us.

We are no longer having problems with unauthorized access, where somebody breaches the system or comprises documents. Nothing like that has happened over the past year that we have been using this product. We're doing well and I believe we will continue to do well with this product.

Staff productivity has been high since we started using it. It has saved 80 to 90 percent of their time in some cases.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the security, making sure that files are protected, preventing unauthorized users from accessing the system. These are the best.

What needs improvement?

I would like them to fortify the system more. In every software platform there are issues or bugs, even though presently, there aren't many known and it is running without problems.

They have to do more to improve, to innovate more features. They need to increase the security. It has to be more active in detecting threats. It's better for the system if the platform is more proactive in detecting threats immediately, so that technicians or people on the security team will know that a threat is coming in.

It's stable, it's a strong system. The stability is going to be even better because they're still trying to improve on it, and they bringing out more features.

Scalability is one of the features. It has to be scalable to be able to effectively secure the system.

Amazon Web Services has very good technical support. Whenever you encounter a problem you just call the support team. You'll be able to walk them through the problem and then they'll solve it.

Our company didn't have structured security controls before this. We were encountering a lot of problems when it came to security, protection of the documents and system. They restructured the whole system. This is the platform that was recommended to us. Since we started using it, it has been great.

The initial setup was rather complex.

Most of the time we try to use a consultant for deployment. Our experience with them has been good. They know their jobs. They try to incorporate more features, teach us how to do things. It's a learning process and they're always there to make sure that we understand the stuff. They get things going.

It's an annual subscription. There are no additional fees beyond the standard licensing.

What other advice do I have?

Everybody handles their own platform differently. Some people love what they have but haven't necessarily experienced anything else. This platform is a good one. If you have your own platform and you think it's better, that's fine. But get a taste of this one, try it and see how it feels in terms of security.

Security has always been a problem and it will always be a problem. There's no security platform or software that is 100 percent. We don't know when a Zero-day will happen. Hackers are everywhere, they are creating things and innovating every day. As far as I am concerned right now, the platform is good. It's doing its job.

I rate the solution at six out of ten. I don't want to give them 100 percent because sometimes things happen.