AWS WAF Review

An excellent solution that's extremely scalable, very stable, and has great AI functionality

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for its rich insights to improve customer experience.

What is most valuable?

The ability to take multiple data sets and match those data sets together is the solution's most valuable feature. The data lake that comes with it is very useful because that allows us to match data sets with different configurations that we wouldn't normally be able to match.

The AI functionality and the machine learning are very good.

What needs improvement?

The solution is cloud-based, and therefore the billing model that comes with it could be more intuitive, in my opinion. It's very easy to not fully understand how you tag things for billing and then you can quite easily run up a high bill without realizing it. The solution needs to be more intuitive around the tagging system, which enables the billing. Right now, I have a cloud architect that does that on our behalf and it isn't something that a business user could use because it still requires quite a lot of technical knowledge to do effectively.

I've been using the solution for almost a year.

The solution is very stable.

The solution is extremely scalable.

We have Amazon managed services, and, as part of our agreement, we have the lower end of that managed service. The solution is not a business-critical system for us, so we have a four hour SLA for resolution. That's pretty good. We're very satisfied with technical support.

Previous to this solution, we used Microsoft Azure.

Amazon allows you to provision more services once you have the initial platform in place. Using Amazon Marketplace, it's so simple to provide additional services and functionality so it allows you to grow the capability of the platform with very little integration into other systems because it's all built into the marketplace. With Azure, it's only capable of some products and they don't have APIs available to integrate as well as Amazon does.

The initial setup was straightforward. Deployment took about three months. For the setup of the platform, we had six people. For the maintenance of the platform, we now have three people maintaining it.

We brought Amazon on to set everything up for us. They made implementation very easy.

What other advice do I have?

We use the public cloud deployment model. We use the Amazon cloud.

From a technology perspective, Amazon is very simple. It requires, in order for it to run effectively, quite a mature cloud-based culture within your organization, however. My advice to others would be to get their operating model internally right before going ahead with the implementation.

I would rate the solution nine out of ten.