Azul Zing Review

It cleans up Oracle Java Development Kit bugs before GA release of the product, so you will get less bugs

Valuable Features

• GC Pause times are maintained in low milliseconds. This is beneficial for applications with high volume, high memory allocation rate, and a high memory footprint, (I would say >2.5gb of max heap). It also increases throughput by approximately 20-25% as compared to Oracle Java Development Kit, based on some tests that I have done with real applications
  • Azul engineering cleans up Oracle Java Development Kit bugs before GA release of the product, so you will get less bugs
  • The engineering support is very qualified, so they can help you diagnose code level issues and provide recommendations. Zing has free tools to get you to the root of many applications problems, like memory leaks, thread blockades, system limitations, etc.
  • Support lifecycle is almost unlimited. Oracle Java Development Kit's lifecycle is three years, after that you have to buy a “commercial license” which is expensive

Improvements to My Organization

We use it on highly visible applications, with application characteristics described above.

Room for Improvement

I have been so happy with it. Since we upgraded, we have never had a need to even call support. So I have no recommendations, other than try to certify Zing with more vendors.

Use of Solution

I've used Zing for over two years. This was an upgrade from its predecessor which I had used for about six to seven years.

No issues encountered, but it was just an upgrade.

No issues encountered.

No issues encountered.

9/10, it's the best of any vendor.

9/10, it's the best of any vendor. Every now and then, I touch base with support to see if I need to make any adjustments based on new developments.

We were trying to scale horizontally as workload increased, but there is a limit to that. Zing can absorb a lot more workload, by just adding more memory and/or CPUs, which is easer then provisioning more and more servers.

It is not bad, but it would be great to engage Azul to educate you while you are doing it yourself. There is somethings to learn about this new and exciting technology.

Implementation Team

I got some help from support and sales engineering during a POC. They provided me instructions and answered educational questions.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

The license price is almost the same as other vendors, but you can cut the cost by running more applications on the same four socket server.

Other Solutions Considered

The other option would have been Oracle Java Development Kit G1GC. We tried it, but I was not convinced. However, it does have a potential in somecases, but you need to stress test the application to be sure is a good fit.