Azure Backup Review

A stable solution that assists us with transitioning clients from on-premises to the cloud

What is our primary use case?

We are a Microsoft reseller for everything that has to do with the cloud and migrating from on-premises infrastructure. Azure Backup is one of the solutions that we implement for our clients.

Our primary use case is to assist schools with moving their on-premises workloads to the cloud. We use the backup facility as it's provided by the platform to help them move everything they run on VMware, Hyper-V, or physical servers.

What is most valuable?

The fact that Azure Backup is integrated is one of its biggest advantages. Everything is on one platform and we can use it from PowerShell automation, which is helpful.

The recovery, in many cases, is quite fluid.

What needs improvement?

It would be helpful if it included the ability to perform Office 365 backups so that we didn't have to use additional software.

In the next release, I would like to see the ability to back up to different cloud providers. For example, some customers would like to be able to synchronize with an Amazon data store. It is always best to follow the 3-2-1 Backup Rule.

We have been using Azure Backup for more than five years.

In terms of stability, over the past two or three years, this solution is bulletproof. This service is used continuously and we have no complaints.

We do some work with the educational market and we have onboarded 50 schools to Azure. We have never had any issues with scaling. Most of our clients range in size from 200 to 1,000 users.

We have been in contact with Azure technical support but not for backup purposes, with this solution. I've never opened a ticket for Azure Backup.

In addition to Azure Backup, we have experience with Veeam and Altaro.

The main difference between Azure Backup and other solutions is that it is oriented to back up Azure Cloud data. The other solutions offer more functionality for on-premises environments and help to synchronize files across local data centers.

Once you know how to do it, the initial setup is pretty easy and pretty straightforward. Even later on, as you transfer the responsibility to the customer, they can do it on their own.

We deploy this solution for our customers.

What other advice do I have?

To this point, I have not run across any issues that are blocking.

My advice to anybody who is considering this solution is to go ahead and use it. It works and it's a good service on the platform. It is just one of the building blocks that we use every day on Azure, so I can't see any reason to move to another one.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Microsoft Azure
**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Partner, reseller
More Azure Backup reviews from users