Azure Backup Review

Simple to configure and easy to use

What is our primary use case?

Our customers have VMs on their test environment that are backed up with Azure Backup for short retention, around one month. They need a machine that does not need integration with backup over BPE.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it's very simple to configure which is very useful. It's not complex to configure it.

What needs improvement?

I would like for the backup of VMs to be improved. The first thing our customers require is for me to back up their VM. I would like to do the backup using the integration. But I don't think the customers I am managing are ready for this yet.

I have been using Azure Backup for around two to three years.

It is stable. There are no problems regarding the backups. Some customers require a double copy of the backup. From on-prem to Azure or from Azure to on-prem or to another site. In these cases, it is necessary to use other software to perform the backup.

The scalability is a great improvement that is offered on the cloud. With a few clicks, you can scale up resources.

When you open a ticket, it is transferred to India. We've had problems that have taken two or three days to resolve. Their response time isn't so fast.

I have used Commvault, Veeam, NetBackup - a lot of other softwares. The difference between these solutions and Azure is that they offered better options for backup across hybrid environments. It depends on what the customer is looking for.

The initial setup is very simple. The time it takes to deploy depends on the environment. For a medium deployment, it will usually take one day to deploy.

In my opinion, the price should be a little lower to be more competitive with other software. It depends on the customer's environment and subscription.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Azure an eight out of ten.

To make it a ten, it should have the ability to extend the retention and to perform a copy of the data outside of the subscription - with no additional costs. There is a cost for downloading data on Azure or on-prem. If I would like to have a copy on-prem I need to pay more for the data. Azure should modify its policies.

I am a consultant. We discuss what the customer is looking for and we'll recommend this solution based on their environment. Azure is easy and simple to configure. It's easy to use. If there are other requirements, I would recommend another software.

Hybrid Cloud