Azure Data Factory Review

Offers good flexibility and has good support

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for data integration. We use it to feed operational data into a data warehouse. We also use it for creating connections between applications.

Within our organization, there are a few thousand users of Azure Data Factory.

We believe that the number of customers and usage of this product will extend over the next few years. For this reason, we invest a lot of resources in building skills, and we make sure to hire consultants who know their way around Data Factory.

What is most valuable?

The flexibility that Azure Data Factory offers is great.

What needs improvement?

The number of standard adaptors could be extended further. What we find is that if we develop data integration solutions with Data Factory, there's still quite a bit of coding involved, whereas we'd like to move in a direction with less coding and more select-and-click.

I have been using Azure Data Factory for one year.

We don't have any complaints regarding scalability or stability.

I think Microsofts' technical support does a pretty good job. There is a lot of information available on the internet to find out how to use their products. There's also quite an active community. If you really can't find a solution, you can always call Microsoft. Our organization is partnered with Microsoft, so we usually get answers directly from them.

We used SSIS. We're still using SSIS. SSIS is an old product. The development of SSIS has more or less stopped and the development is now focused on cloud services — it's the future. Azure Data Factory Is great because it's a cloud service; you do not have to take care of the installation and configuration yourself. The cost buildup is also quite different. I am not sure that's a huge financial advantage yet, but we do believe that it will be in the future.

The initial setup was straightforward.

We didn't have to deploy Azure Data Factory. It's available as an Azure service, so Microsoft takes care of that.

It's a pay-per-use model. So if you run it, it's hardly licensing. The entire cost of Azure is per-use. The price you pay is determined by how much you use it.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend Azure Data Factory. On a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of eight.

If there were a larger amount of automated features, I would give them a higher rating. As I mentioned earlier, if we are working on complex applications, then there is a lot of coding involved. What we hope is that over time, there'll be less coding and more "off the shelf" functionality.

More Azure Data Factory reviews from users
...who work at a Computer Software Company
...who compared it with SSIS
Learn what your peers think about Azure Data Factory. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
510,204 professionals have used our research since 2012.