Azure Data Factory Review

User friendly, cost-effective, and the performance is good

What is our primary use case?

We are a tech services company and this is one of the tools that we use when implementing solutions for our clients. I am currently managing a team that is working with the Azure Data Factory.

Our clients that use this solution are migrating their data from on-premises to the cloud.

One of our clients is building an integrated data warehouse for all of their data, using this solution. It is used to extract all of the data from different servers and store it into one place.

What is most valuable?

Our clients find that this solution has a very good performance. They like the speed.

It is easy to deploy workflows and schedule jobs. You can just click on the desktop and it works.

What needs improvement?

The setup and configuration process could be simplified.

We have been using Azure Data Factory for the past six months.

This is a stable product and we're expecting more updates from Microsoft. We have not used more than one terabyte of data so that remains untested, but for one terabyte it works fine.

Development is only done on an occasional basis, but the solution is used every day. If it is streaming data then the process is continuous, otherwise, it is initiated by the user on demand.

This solution is 100% scalable.

We have two clients working with this solution.

It is another team who is responsible for contacting technical support.

We have used other ETL solutions in the past, and Azure Data Factory is the best one. Compared to SSIS, for example, ADF is easier to use and the performance is better.

Our clients are migrating from on-premises SSIS solutions to the cloud because they want to take advantage of the latest technologies.

The installation is very simple and it doesn't take much time. For us, the deployment took about two days, which does not seem unreasonable for something that is on the cloud. Most of the time is spent waiting for credentials.

Depending on the sources of the data, four people are required for deployment and maintenance. If the sources are SQL databases then it is straightforward and four people can cope with it. If the data is more difficult then we may need more people.

The deployment is done in-house with a technical person with knowledge of the Azure cloud.

This is a cost-effective solution.

We have another team that is moving to AWS, but for now, we will continue working with Azure Data Factory. Once they have explored the AWS solution fully, we will compare the two.

What other advice do I have?

Within the next six months, we are planning to enter into the machine learning part of this solution. This is a product that I can recommend.

Microsoft Azure