Azure Firewall Review

Good pricing, useful features, and satisfactory technical support

What is our primary use case?

Basically, our organization is using the solution to inspect the traffic. I'm using the solution as the main defense system prior to de-traffication on the NGX layer (layer seven). Then, of course, we're forwarding to the Kubernetes cluster.

What is most valuable?

The solution has many useful features. For example, the solution allows users to create virtual IP addresses.

What needs improvement?

The solution doesn't offer the same capabilities of Fortinet. It should offer intrusion prevention and advance filtering. These are two very useful features offered on Fortinet that Azure lacks.

There's already a web application firewall for detection, however, it isn't as useful as it could be. They should work to improve it.

In terms of prevention, I don't think it's any better than just a regular firewall. They need to add more security features to make it more powerful and more secure.

I've been using the solution for six months so far. It hasn't been too long.

The stability of the solution is excellent. It hasn't failed. There are no bugs, glitches, or crashes. It's reliable.

Azure uses an on-premises environment. I wouldn't use it for scalability purposes. In terms of scalability, our organization is much more inclined towards Fortinet's Fortigate virtual appliance rather than the Azure Firewall.

We provide services to our clients and help them maintain the product.

However, we have contacted technical support several times. We've submitted tickets and dealt with technical support directly. Occasionally, it takes a long period of time for them to get back to us. It does depend on the severity of the issues. In terms of feedback and output they've provided us, we have been very satisfied. They can just be a little slow.

We use both Azure Firewall and Fortinet solutions, including Fortigate. I personally find that Azure doesn't offer the same capabilities. Fortinet is better.

I'm not sure of the exact pricing, however, I do believe it is less expensive than Fortigate.

For Fortinet, we pay around $5,000 per year. It offers more, however. It, for example, also improves the intrusion detection system. We bought a Fortinet appliance two years ago and Azure Firewall didn't exist at the time.

What other advice do I have?

We're Azure partners and have an enterprise agreement with the company, however, we may be switching. We also have a dedicated Account Manager with the company.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. It's missing a few capabilities our organization would really like to see.

More Azure Firewall reviews from users
...who compared it with Cisco ASA Firewall
Learn what your peers think about Azure Firewall. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,230 professionals have used our research since 2012.