Azure Monitor Review

Extremely reliable with good load and metrics gathering and very good analysis

What is our primary use case?

Our use case for this solution is application monitoring using the Insights app. We have about five specialists in our operations team and we also have an application management team of around 10 people. There are plans to increase usage but that's something that is driven by the customers that we provide our services to. We partner with Azure Monitor and I work as a SW technologist and process unit manager in the company.

What is most valuable?

There are a few good features in this solution. First, it's integrated with Azure DevOps. Second, it has good load gathering and very good analysis. Finally, the metrics gathering, even though it requires some actions and application level, is also fairly good.

What needs improvement?

I think the product could be improved if they were to work on automation related to gathering metrics from more applications without the need for instrumentation and things like that. I'd like them to work more on that.

Additional features they could include would be more automations related to applications and monitoring, user experience monitoring on the application level. Improvement on technical support would also be helpful.

I've been using the solution for six months.

This is a stable solution.

I haven't tested the solution for scalability but from the specifications it seems that it would be easily scalable.

The technical support could be improved - their response time can be quite slow.

Prior to using Azure Monitor I used SolarWinds. I think that SolarWinds is more infrastructure level oriented while Azure covers infrastructure but also covers the application side. That's why we migrated to Azure.

The initial setup was very straightforward. Transfer to the solution required some training so I think in total it took us about two weeks.

Before choosing Azure Monitor, we evaluated it compared to SolarWinds and Dynatrace, which was a more expensive solution.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good enough product for anyone wanting something that might not be top of the range but it does the work easily, is simple to configure and is a fair price.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud