Azure Site Recovery Review

Easy to use, good data recovery capabilities and very stable

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for disaster recovery for our organization.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very easy to use.

The approach the solution takes to data recovery is very good. We can fail-over from production and the disaster recovery aspect of the solution is quite seamless. There are a few configurations that need to happen, however, once it's up it works quite well.

What needs improvement?

There have been issues with replication.

It would be helpful if error logging was handled more effectively.

When it runs, it runs well but when it doesn't run, the solution needs to make it clearer as to why and what the troubleshooting process is. All this would be possible if the error logging was streamlined a bit.

I've only been using the solution for about six months. It's still quite new to me.

We haven't faced any crashes, bugs, or glitches. I would consider the solution to be quite stable.

The solution is easily scalable.

We're pushing about 40 servers into the cloud for disaster recovery using site recovery.

I can only vouch for the actual support we've gotten from Microsoft and that was very good. We have no complaints there; the support was very helpful when it came to handling the issue that we did have.

The initial setup is very straightforward. We didn't have any issues with any complexities.

We implemented in phases. In full, it took us about two or three months to deploy the solution. However, if a company is simply looking to do one or two servers, it's only going to take a couple of hours, or maybe a couple of days to go to the cloud.

I'd estimate it would take about a month, for your average environment (a small to medium-sized environment) to deploy onto Site Recovery.

What other advice do I have?

We're a partner as well as a customer.

We would definitely recommend the product.

I would caution, or highlight rather, that if anyone is collecting resources they need to confirm that they're all configuring it correctly so that it doesn't generate unexpected costs because of a context that may be incorrect.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about Azure Site Recovery vs. Metallic and other solutions. Updated: May 2021.
509,820 professionals have used our research since 2012.