Azure Site Recovery Review

Provides a seamlessly integrated recovery option for small to medium size enterprise companies

What is our primary use case?

Primary use case really depends on the client. The product can be used by insurance companies, hospitals, healthcare professionals. We mainly use the product for backup and disaster recovery and it's suitable for small and medium enterprise companies.
It's used occasionally, not on a daily basis. We are in partnership with Microsoft and I work as a senior sales solution architect.

What is most valuable?

One of the valuable features is failure restores.

What needs improvement?

Improvement could be made on the pricing model. It could be brought in line with the competitive ranges in the market

Additional features could include more of a backup and recovery. We'd like to see the AIX operating system added into it. It's more virtual right now.

I've been using the product for the last two or three years.

Stability really depends on the situation, sometimes it's better and other times it's worse. It's generally fine.

Scalability is good in this solution.

The initial setup depends on the kind of control infrastructure that the clients have and that determines whether the setup is simple or complex. Azure doesn't have its own hardware for on-prem which makes it more complex for the reseller or as a solution for companies like us,  because we have to go and talk to different vendors for hardware. It means you then have to go and  buy the licenses or OS for everything and it becomes complex for someone who is selling it to the customer because there are several elements that need to be taken into consideration. We provide installation services and that can take a week or two.

There are different components in pricing and for each and every component you have to check the box and you have to look for options - check if they have a front end or back end kind of licensing, those are different types of licensing that can possibly be made simpler and probably cheaper.

We looked at Dell EMC but I think we went with Site Recovery because it fits better with cloud and they're moving a lot of their workload to cloud like Azure, and want something that is seamlessly integrated. It also provides one vendor whereas with Dell you then need to go to Azure and if a problem isn't resolved then who is responsible.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this product an eight out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud