Backupify Review

Inexpensive, easy to configure, good support, and it is easy to scale up when needed

What is our primary use case?

At my previous company, we used the Backupify appliance to back up our company data and files. We can also recover data by accessing the device locally or through the cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

After Backupify was deployed, we were able to abandon our old backup solution. Even the company management was able to do its own restore operations.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the interface, which is very nice to work with. Whether you're working on the appliance itself, or you're working on the cloud, it is basically the same interface. It got to the point where when we needed to recover a file, we didn't look at the backup solution anymore. Instead, we went right to the Datto Backupify.

Using Backupify took our time to recover from probably four days to 20 minutes.

With this device, you're capable of logging into the interface or through an IP address to access the data that is stored on it.

Recovery can be just a matter of spinning up a virtual machine or doing a full bare metal recovery, replacing the entire hardware-based server.

What needs improvement?

The device does not allow you to do multiple backups over the whole environment. Rather, it always backs up incrementally.

We have been using Backupify for eight months.

We have had no problems with stability.

The scalability is very good. We got to a point where we were running out of storage space on our one terabyte unit and decided to upgrade to the next level. They shipped a hard drive to us and we backed up the appliance onto it. We then sent the hard drive and restored the data onto a new appliance. The new appliance was shipped to us and it was plug and play with the new, two-terabyte unit. It was easy.

We had 24 users at one point.

The technical support is great. I would rate them a ten out of ten. They would log on to my computer if I needed them to fix anything, and in most cases, it was something that I did wrong. The support is very, very good.

The initial setup was very easy. I sat at my desk, took it out of the box, plugged it in, and configured it myself. I had it up and running before my training even started. We configured it to do incremental backups every hour.

The unit that we bought was one terabyte.

We implemented it on our own.

The costs were about $1,000 USD to buy the unit in the first place, and then between $250 and $300 per year for support. We found this to be very inexpensive.

They offer a trial period where you get to work with the device before you have to pay for it.

I investigated several other devices and backup systems, and we were very happy with the choice that we made.

What other advice do I have?

When this appliance was first installed, we backed up our data to the appliance itself. Then sometime after that, we provisioned the data backup to the cloud.

In summary, the features are great and the support is great. There aren't too many products that I've been so happy with.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.