Bacula Enterprise Review

A stable solution that works well with Linux servers

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and this is one of the backup products that we implement for our clients.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the support for Linux servers.

What needs improvement?

Bacula needs a graphical user interface because, for administrators, the command-line interface is okay, but for the average user it is not very easy.

The initial setup and site configuration should be easier.

I began working with Bacula Enterprise about five years ago.

Bacula is pretty stable.

I have not had any problems, so I have not needed to contact technical support.

I have experience with different backup and recovery solutions. I have used Veeam as well as BorgBackup.

The initial setup is very complex. It can be deployed in a few hours, although it will take about a month for testing and fine-tuning.

One of our customers recently implemented a virtualized environment with VMware and consequently migrated away from Bacula to Veeam. It was not a question of being satisfied with Bacula; rather, they were interested in moving to a newer platform.

They had been in an environment with physical servers and tape backups and with the move to virtualization, Veeam was more useful for them.

What other advice do I have?

The suitability of Bacula Enterprise depends on the environment and user requirements. In general, I recommend it.

More Bacula Enterprise reviews from users
...who compared it with Veeam Backup & Replication
Find out what your peers are saying about Bacula Systems, Veeam Software, Acronis and others in Backup and Recovery Software. Updated: August 2021.
535,919 professionals have used our research since 2012.