Bacula Enterprise Review
It's flexibility makes it so easy to adapt to almost any environment
For how long have you used this product?
- I have used this product for many years now open-source and commercial
Which features of this product are most valuable to you?
- It's flexibility makes it so easy to adapt to almost any environment
Can you give an example of how this product has improved the way your organization functions?
- We not have to worry about our backups anymore, there is now a daily backup on disk and on tape and we get notified if something went wrong
What areas of this product have room for improvement?
- It's not easy to configure. There is a graphical interface to configure it but it costs a lot
Did you encounter any issues with deployment, stability or scalability?
- Nope, it is so flexible that it can almost do anything besides that it is hard to configure
Did you previously use a different solution and if so, why did you switch?
- Before we tried out other solutions but Bacula gave us the flexibility and stability that we wanted
Before choosing this product, did you evaluate other options? If so, which ones?
- Zmanda was one of the other options
How would you rate the level of customer service and technical support?
- So far no support was needed from Bacula Enterprise however when we implemented this solution at our customers we had once an issue and Bacula Enterprise helped us very well to solve it.
Was the initial setup straightforward or complex? In what ways?
- The initial setup is not to difficult to install. There is a good online guide configuring however is another issue as it is text based with lots of configuration parameters available
What is your ROI on this product?
- It all depends if you use the free version or the one with the support and extra plugins some plugins can be quite expensive for a small company but most of the time this solution is still much cheaper then other commercial solutions.
What was your original setup cost for this product and what is your day-to-day cost of using this product?
- For our company the open-source solution was more then adequate no extra plugins where needed
What advice would you give to others looking into implementing this product?
- Play first with the open-source version so that you have an idea about needed plugins and the learning curve before you buy it and implement it by yourself or look for a vendor that can implement it for you.
Disclosure: The company I work for is partners with several vendors (including Bacula Systems) - http://www.open-future.be/solutions/partners
**Disclosure: I am a real user, and this review is based on my own experience and opinions.
Last updated: May 01 2014