Bamboo Review

The REST API for our deployment project is still very basic, but with Bamboo, we've been able to implement an on-demand, push-button release strategy.

What is most valuable?

The Deployment Project

How has it helped my organization?

Bamboo, along with its integrated deployment and release pipeline, enabled us to go from a monolithic, once a month release cycle, with many post-release incidents to an on-demand, push-button release strategy where we deployed over 200 times a month with very few to no release-related incidents.

Using this tool, we were able to empower the dev teams to push their own changes to production rather than rely on the operations or release teams to release it.

What needs improvement?

The REST API for our deployment project is still very basic and lacks the ability to provide a decent amount of custom automation. For many things, we had to resort to direct database queries simply because certain data was not exposed via the API.

I've used it for five years.

No issues encountered.

Every once in a while deployments would hang and we weren't able to clear them without restarting the service. It didn't happen a lot and it may have been due to how we configured the app on the server.

Not really. As long as your organization is willing to pay a bit more, Bamboo can scale to meet your needs.

7/10 - sometimes you just want to talk to someone over the phone, but this isn't very easy with Atlassian. They have a ticket support system that's pretty good at connecting you with a customer service rep, but sometimes this means you have to go back and forth, waiting for the representative to reply on the issue in order to isolate a problem.

7/10 - sometimes you just want to talk to someone over the phone, bu this isn't very easy with Atlassian. They have a ticket support system that's pretty good at connecting you with a customer service rep, but sometimes this means you have to go back and forth, waiting for the representative to reply on the issue in order to isolate a problem.

Bamboo was already being used.

It was pretty straightforward. Atlassian standardizes setup across products for the most part, so it was easy for us to install, configure, and navigate.

We implemented it ourselves in-house.

We got a ton of product and development time back across the board, which could be translated to several tens of thousands of dollars.

Keep in mind that Bamboo pricing is based on number of remote agents. Agents are what you used to load balance build and deployment tasks, so depending on how large your development shop is, what your software architecture looks like, and how often you intend to build and deploy new versions of software, it can get fairly pricey to support a higher volume pipeline.

We evaluated Jenkins and Thoughtworks Go. At the end of the day, Bamboo just integrated better with the other tools we were already using - JIRA, Stash, Confluence - and provided better push button deployment control. Bamboo provided such a seamless delivery pipeline and visibility to all stakeholders through its easy integrations with our already existing toolset.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you don't become dependent on the tool for basic delivery of software. And this goes for any tool you use for automating the building and deploying of your apps. Meaning, if Bamboo were to go down for whatever reason, you want to make sure you can still build and deploy software. To avoid Bamboo becoming a single point of failure, have all of your script tasks run a file that is managed in a repository instead of writing it in line in Bamboo.

3 visitors found this review helpful