Barkly Review

Has an easy to use interface but lacks features and customization options

What is our primary use case?

It's an antivirus program, so it just is there and makes sure that nothing bad comes up.

How has it helped my organization?

It allowed us to move up from simple, traditional antivirus protection to next-generation without a big expense and without a steep learning curve.

What is most valuable?

The interface is very easy to use. It's a very simple product to use in general. There is not a lot of administrative overhead.

What needs improvement?

The product could stand to be a bit more advanced. It's very simple. You don't have a lot of ability to customize properly. For example, it does not handle whitelisting properly. So, in general, it could offer more sophisticated control and more refined options to be able to customize it better.

I would also like to see better version information in the changelog. The product doesn't tell you what's changed until it's too late. So, it would be nice to know what's changed between versions of the reports so you can see more easily what might cause a problem and what is probably innocuous.

It's a very stable solution and does what it does consistently.

I don't think it's very scalable because it's just a simple package that really doesn't allow for customization. You can install it anywhere, so I guess it's scalable in that way. You can buy more licenses to support more users. But it doesn't have the ability to add advanced features as other products would have. For example, you can't do granular exclusions. You have to call in support to add specific exclusions.

I have used Barkley's technical support and it is helpful but there's a bit of a delay in the response time. Because we are in Australia and they're in America, there's a time zone difference makes it difficult to correspond. Because they have set working hours at their corporate headquarters and they do not have 24/7 support, they're a bit difficult to communicate with if you are in a different geographic location.

Before we worked with this solution we used Sophos. Just the standard Sophos antivirus package.

The reason why we switched is because there was a push to move toward next-generation antivirus detection. We didn't want to use just traditional, standard antivirus protection anymore.

It is very easy to install. It takes practically no time at all and has a very basic configuration preset.

We did the installation ourselves and we did not need a consultant or vendor's assistance.

For a next-generation antivirus, this solution is pretty inexpensive. Cylance is about twice the cost. Barkley is a much lower-priced product compared to others like Carbon Black or Cylance but it's not a lower-end product as it is still a next-generation solution.

Before choosing this solution we did look at Carbon Black — which is actually a preferable solution — but it was just too expensive so that's why we didn't choose that.

What other advice do I have?

I would probably rate this product as a five out of ten. They'll have to add more features and they need to provide better support.

As far as advice I'd give to others about using this solution, I would probably suggest looking at a bit more advanced solutions as a proper comparison because I think it's a bit dumb-downed. It works well, but if you need more functionality and features and more control, I think that there are other products that are a bit better than Barkly. that might do more to fit an organization's needs.