Barracuda Backup Review

Easy to set up, user-friendly, supports inline deduplication, and has a good licensing model

What is our primary use case?

We are a system integrator and Barracuda Backup is one of the products that we implement for our clients. It is primarily used for backing up data from the client's on-premises equipment to the cloud. It is a hybrid model.

What is most valuable?

What I like best about Barracuda Backup is the licensing model. It is not based on the number of nodes that you are backing up.

Inline deduplication is a valuable feature in this product. Not every backup solution has it.

All of the backups from the geographically diverse nodes are available from a central location.

The performance is good and the interface is user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

Scalability-wise, there is room for improvement.

I would like to see better integration with third-party applications.

We have been partners with Barracuda for between three and four years.

This product performs well and we have hardly had any problems with respect to stability in three years' time.

It is an appliance-based model, so it is not as easy to scale.

We have multiple clients who use this product. I think it is ideal for the smaller to medium-sized businesses.

The technical support is really good. We deal with the support team in India and we have found them to be very helpful, providing very valuable answers.

I have worked with similar products from other vendors and I think that Barracuda is easy to deploy and easy to manage, compared to some other products. The technical support is also very useful.

In terms of what they offer, backup solutions by different vendors are somewhat similar in functionality.

Barracuda Backup is very easy to set up and one individual can do it. If it is planned properly then you can be up and running in two hours.

We handle the deployment for our customers.

There are no costs in addition to the standard licensing fees.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is implementing Barracuda Backup is to take time to plan how it is going to be set up. Specifically, consider the connectivity with the backup client nodes. If it is done properly then you will have a minimum deployment time. If on the other hand, you have issues with connectivity, then it will add to your deployment time.

In summary, this is a good product and we plan to continue recommending it to our clients.

Hybrid Cloud