Barracuda Backup Review

Good compression, stable, intuitive, and easy to use for restoring files

What is our primary use case?

We are using it just for daily backups of our files. We have its latest version.

How has it helped my organization?

It does what it is supposed to do, which is restore old files. That's its main purpose, and that's how we use it. If someone deleted something or some files are missing, they can be easily restored.

What is most valuable?

Its interface is intuitive, and it is easy to use when I am restoring files.

Barracuda does a really excellent job at compression, which makes it very efficient. Eight years later, I am only halfway through to the capacity, which is very good.

What needs improvement?

The restore time can be improved. The restore time for large quantities of folders is slow. Sometimes, if I'm doing a full recovery of a server, it takes multiple hours, which probably is natural. It might also be because of our internet speed to the cloud.

I have been using this solution for eight years.

It has been running for eight years, so I'm happy with it.

Barracuda has a defined upgrade path, so scalability is there. We are a small company with about 40 people. We have just two people, myself and someone from the IT support, who use it when a user needs to recover a file. We also handle its maintenance and checkup.

Its usage is average. We sized the number of hard drives eight years ago, and we are at about 50%. It was the right size for the future. We're nowhere near maxing it out, so I would say we're in good shape. We currently don't have any need to increase its usage.

We called them once, and they were very cooperative. They have good support.

We were a lot smaller back then, and we had an on-premise tape backup. It was probably Iomega. We switched because of the cloud. It was just about streamlining and taking away a lot of pain points. Barracuda Backup is really easy in terms of maintenance, and I don't have to worry about changing tapes. It took a lot of the in-house burden away. It is almost like you set it and then forget it, whereas back then, you had to make sure that tapes are fine, and sometimes, tapes would fail.

We had a consultant to do it. Our experience with the consultant was positive. They had it working in a day or two.

We were in a jam one or two times, and we were happy that the backups were working. It is like insurance. You hope you never use it, but you have to buy it. The whole idea is that you back up your system and hope that you never have to restore it, but we did, and it came through. It did what it was designed to do. We have definitely got the return on investment. There was no loss of time or loss of files.

It is about 6,900 or 7,000 a year. It goes up a little every year. Its price includes live updates, support, antivirus, and cloud storage. If I increase the cloud space, then the price would increase. It has been consistent for us.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Barracuda Backup a nine out of ten. It does what it is supposed to do, and it does it very efficiently. I would give them high grades for the compression.

More Barracuda Backup reviews from users
...who compared it with Veritas Backup Exec
Learn what your peers think about Barracuda Backup. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,690 professionals have used our research since 2012.