Barracuda Backup Review

Handles critical backup needs and manages versions in high volume environments

What is our primary use case?

We have mainly used this product for the management of backing up our servers. It is used to manage the server backups and not for our clients.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features for my usage of the product are the simplicity of use and the availability of support.

What needs improvement?

One part of the product that I think needs the most improvement is the recovery feature. It is not as fast as it should be.

https://www.itcentralstation.com/product_reviews/barracuda-backup-review-65726-by-mohmmed-merajuddin/edit#There are features in other solutions that this product does not have or support. For example, with some other products you can enlarge the disk core, you can have a multithreaded disk to maximize processing, there is SIT (System Integrated Testing) support, and CIFS (Common Internet File System) support. In my case, I think it would be a better product if I could have CIFS support for sharing folder. It should already be there.

The product as it is can make backups related to server and manages data versioning and unwanted files. But with CIFS support, it could share on EMC (Enhanced Memory Controller) or any other storage. This is an option, but an advantage in some cases.

Disk management can be improved by giving us the opportunity to increase or enlarge the disk during the recovery. Adding that and CIFS support will improve the utility and speed of the product.

We have been using this product for three years.

We have more than 10,000 users currently and we are using the product in high loads on a regular basis. Last year we had fewer licenses. This year, we needed to increase the capacity because we added a number of users. We had to increase the number of licenses to allow those users access. The scalability is not much harder than adding the licenses as long as the hardware can handle the capacity.

My experience with technical support is that it is good for day-to-day problems. If any real expertise needed, it takes time to get a reply sometimes. It may be that they need to improve in terms of having some additional, critical expertise on the support staff.

The installation and implementation of the product are not complex. It may be different if you want to do more complex things than we have implemented.

I did the installation and configurations myself.

What other advice do I have?

We recommend the product to other users because it is a good product. On a scale from one to ten, where one is the worst and ten is the best, Barracuda Backup is an eight. It does have some good features, but it needs to enhance some of the parts and add some features to give more flexibility and speed.

1 Comment
author avatarShane Slosar

Try Druva - Avoid h/w refreshes and reduce TCO.