Barracuda Backup Review

Live Boot is helpful for quick recovery, but it should work without the need for a secondary server

What is our primary use case?

We have this solution set up on two pieces of equipment. The first is our main backup solution and the other one is a notification solution.

This is an on-premises deployment, with the physical equipment here in our LAN.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the Live Boot solution. It's a feature on the Barracuda that is very helpful for critical service. Whenever you have a crash or your service is not working, you can just live-boot the machine and have your service up and running.

The granularity of the backup is also very good. If you need to restore a single file from the backup, you don't need to retrieve the whole server or the whole folder.

What needs improvement?

It would be a big improvement if the Live Boot feature could work without the need for a secondary, standby server.

I would like to see the Live Boot feature extended to Hyper-V machines, in addition to VMware machines.

I have been using this solution for three months.

We have not had any issues in the three months that we have been running this solution, although I think that is too short a time to judge overall stability.

I think that the scalability of this solution is good because I started with AT&T V790 equipment, and I think that if I wanted to upgrade the storage space then it would not be difficult.

We have three people who use this solution. I am the manager, we have an HR person who is able to see whether their backup has been done or not, and we have the person responsible for the checking the backup when I am not in the office.

I haven't any opportunity myself to contact support. That's for the team that did the setup. In fact, when I heard them talking to the support guy, I think they were people from India who provide support. They keep you waiting and then they don't come up with a real solution. You need to call them back continuously to be able to get the solution. Conversely, I think the guys from the European team, perhaps Dell, are quite straight forward and they provide you solution very quickly.

Prior to this solution, we were using Veeam backup. We had a few issues with them in terms of scalability, so we were unable to continue using Veeam. This is the main reason we switched to Barracuda.

In my situation, it was quite complex because we had old servers fully updated recently. We had some issues in setting this up, as we had some conversions to do for the virtual machine. I don't really think that Barracuda is especially difficult to deploy, but given the situation in which we were here, at my premises, I think it was quite natural that we had some difficulties into setting it up.

In general, I don't think it would be difficult to set up.

The deployment took around a month. Our strategy was to convert and upgrade the servers to a level which they were compatible with the Barracuda solution. We had some conversions to do because we had some Hyper-V machines and some VM machines, and we needed to convert to VMware VMs. Once we set it up, we started the backup and we tested the rest on all other servers.

We purchased the solution through a local reseller. It was a great team, given the complex situation that we had here. Our servers were not updated for a long time, including one that was Windows 2003, which is very difficult to backup using this solution. Overall, they did a great job here.

We bought a five-year package, as opposed to paying a yearly licensing fee. The price of the five-year contract was approximately three million Rupees ($42,000 USD).

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing this solution is to ensure that it is adapted to all of the current hardware that you have. Prepare yourself to upgrade the solution, if needed, for at least five years.

The biggest lesson that I have learned from using this solution is not to underestimate the complexity of the implementation. The sellers suggest that it is easy, but you need to adapt it to your own environment.

This is a good solution, but there is always room for improvement.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.