Barracuda Backup Review

Archives the backup of emails and has excellent support

What is our primary use case?

I provide two versions of Barracuda Backup systems. The Barracuda Backup in up lines version 6.5. And Barracuda Cloud to Cloud Backup for Office 365. For Barracuda Backup systems on up lines, it's to do the backups for servers, laptops, and computers. They can use the up lines with Cloud application. For customers that are already on Office 365, they only have the opportunity to use the Barracuda Cloud to Cloud Backup. It only exists in the cloud. Barracuda Backup and Barracuda Cloud to Cloud Backup is for doing backups of data that has been backed up already at Office 365. With that solution, We provide an additional level of security in the Office 365 suite. Adding archiving and backup for groups from the teams. Backup for SharePoint, backup for OneDrive and backup emails. With Barracuda Cloud, the cloud backups are an additional layer that we can put.

What is most valuable?

The most important feature in Barracuda Backup is the ability to archive the backup of emails.

What needs improvement?

I think we can leverage more on backing up or collecting some data for all of the features that Office 365 gives us. Currently, they are doing the backup of Teams. They could also add the backup for the planner. For the Barracuda Backup system, they could at least have a chance to provide the backup for laptops and computers to the cloud. I would like to see a way to increase space. That is one of two questions that we get from customers, "And what happened if I need to increase space?" I would rate Barracuda Backup at a nine on a scale of ten.

I have used Barracuda Backup for a year and a half.

Barracuda Backup  is fairly stable. I like it.

I think scalability is the big gap. When you go to the Barracuda Backup systems as an up line, you buy a backup system for four terabytes of information. And if you want to add more, you only have one chance to buy another one. There is no way to increase space. Of course, Barracuda gives us a huge discount if we are doing some upgrade, but in the end, you need to buy another one.

Barracuda technical support is one of the best. First place is Extreme Network, and then Barracuda.

The setup of Barracuda Backup is very simple. Four to five hours is enough to do the deployment and configure lots of servers. We had six people involved in the deployment. We have two people who do only deployment, two who do deployment and support and two who do only support.

We perform deployments for Barracuda so our team implemented it.

Barracuda Backup systems, you can buy it on a monthly basis, but normally the customers want it every year. So, there are only four licenses for the updates for our software. They send a replacement, which is the support for maintenance on the disks. And there is another license that is on the cloud application. so we have our up lines, and we can add another level of security instead of having another up line. For a disaster recovery site, we can upload it to the Barracuda cloud and that's unlimited. There is no way to upgrade the license. Barracuda is a simple way of life. You license the box. No per-user license, no per-byte license, it's only one license for the box. You buy the product, you license the box. You do a cloud application, you license the box. There is no per-user license. Even for the backup for the cloud solution. Even for the additional firewall, all the licensing is to the box. It is a simple way of licensing. If you have only the box and you want VPN backup, you need a different license. But it's a license for the box, not a license for 10 VPN users. Not a license for IPS. It's not user-based.

What other advice do I have?

Trust Barracuda, at least give them a try, because unfortunately, they're not very known. At least give a try because it's a simple way of working. The support is excellent. And it is a very stable product.

I would rate it a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud