Barracuda CloudGen Firewall Review
We use it as a border firewall. We use it to control all in/out Internet traffic.

What is our primary use case?

My current company operates in the financial arena so we have to maintain our infrastructure according to leading security standards (PCI DSS and PA-DSS). These devices allow us to pass external and internal penetration tests by supporting all the recommendations of those standards.

What is most valuable?

At the moment, the most valuable features are Application Control (Layer 7 filtering) and IPS/IDS. For existing network architecture, we use Barracuda NG Firewall as a border firewall. We use it to control all in/out Internet traffic.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes we have a need for detailed reports. Barracuda NG Firewall does not have a reports module and uses a satellite application (Barracuda NG Firewall Report Creator). In some cases, this report is uncomfortable to use.

More than five years.

Yes, we have had stability issues, but we use Barracuda NG firewall in HA mode. Therefore, we did not have problems with availability of services. HA mode operates very well.

We have had no issues due to scalability.

On a scale from one to 10, my rating is an eight. Level 1 and 2 of their support are good, but if you want serious expertise (Level 3), there are some issues. This is related to my area, maybe it is different in some other areas.

I have personally used a lot of different solutions in my career (Cisco, Fortinet, Check Point, etc.).

I switched to this solution for the first time due to group standards. After trying this solution, I liked it and it became one of my favorites.

The setup is very intuitive for people with network technology knowledge.

It is a product with a very transparent model of licensing. In the sense of hidden expenses, they do not exist with this model.

We evaluated a lot of different options. We concluded that Barracuda NG Firewall provided the most features for an exemplary price.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to try and evaluate it (Barracuda offers a trial period of one month). I think that a lot of people will be pleasantly surprised with its possibilities.