Barracuda CloudGen Firewall Review

Good SIEM and a dynamic VPN with good scalability

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution specifically for the security of our environments.

What is most valuable?

The is SIEM is very valuable for us.

The dynamic VPN is great.

Their GPS possibilities and the security that it has, especially the SD-WAN functionality, is very good.

What needs improvement?

There is always room for improvement on the solution.

Their client VPN is not always working that well, so on computers specifically that could be something to change.

It is pretty expensive, but I think all of the solutions are, so it's something that's expected.

There are some bugs that are in the program. Occasionally when there are updates, there's a bug or two that you might find that cause issues. There was a major issue for a while, and I don't know if it's fixed yet with a third-party VPN provider.

If you have another brand of VPN where you have to put an SSL VPN between two devices, Barracuda doesn't support that at a certain point. You can't actually build the VPN between Barracuda and a different device of a different brand.

I've been dealing with the solution for five years.

The stability of the solution isn't ideal. There are bugs and issues with updates occasionally.

The scalability of the solution is excellent. You can really scale and copy content and update and deploy centrally.

We've contacted technical support a lot. They used to have really, really good technical support. Lately, however, it's a bit less impressive than before. I've heard this from my technicians. It used to be a lot better.

The initial setup is straightforward, however, much like every firewall, there's a lot that can go wrong. You need some decent knowledge of the product. It is complex for somebody who is starting with it and has never used it before. However, it's fairly easy to manage via the control center. It's a pretty easy firewall to work with.

The solution costs more than 800 Euros to purchase an F18, which is an entry model, and then another 500 Euros for instant replacement, and 500 Euros for energized updates. The total package would be around 1,900 Euros for a five-year license and all updates for an entry model.

What other advice do I have?

We are a Barracuda partner.

We have firewalls in all of our data centers and have a total of around 200 firewalls.

I would advise others that it's really a good product for SD-WAN, and for security. I would advise them to consider other products as well. Companies should certainly consider it for security features. For us, it's probably more of an SD-WAN product to really set up good connections between sites, but not a really in-depth security product per se. If a company needs more security, they should look at and compare different products that may really focus more on the security aspect. The solution has far fewer features than Sophos, for example, which is more security-driven.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten because it offers SD-WAN functionality and an easy zero-touch deployment. If you have a lot of sites and you need to connect them to each other, it's a really good product.

More Barracuda CloudGen Firewall reviews from users