Barracuda Email Security Gateway Review

Get rid of your spam concerns and be more productive with the help of this product

What is our primary use case?

We are an MSP (Managed Service Provider) so, basically, all of our business clients who want email security are using this product.

How has it helped my organization?

Barracuda has made things easier simply by making it so all of us do not have to go through the mounds of spam that would be coming in otherwise. It has made our lives a lot simpler in letting us see what is valuable in our inboxes rather than a blob of emails users have to hunt through.

What is most valuable?

It is really hard to pinpoint any one feature that is more valuable than the others. I mean, the features are all valuable. If I had to choose, I guess the spam filtering part of the product stands out as phenomenal. The time it saves in eliminating inbox clutter and the focus that creates allows staff to be more productive instead of absolutely wasting time manually filtering spam.

What needs improvement?

An improvement I would encourage is that sometimes the spam filtering is a little too aggressive. You can not get granular enough to back off what is considered spam and what is not. So it is fine that they have predefined settings for spam, but not so good that it can not be modified. If we could go in and modify the settings or affect the way it is treating spam, I think that would allow for more versatility and better results.

I have been using Barracuda Email Security Gateway for probably a little over two years.

The stability of Email Security is fine. We have had no real issues with it.

Scalability is very, very easy. We have over 40 clients with multiple end-users currently using it, so it has already proven to be very scalable.

Primarily the people using the product are actually the end-users. They could be CFOs, CEOs, company presidents, office managers — the whole gamut of employees use the product if they use the network. We are an MSP, so we are literally servicing the whole range of different companies and different end-user needs with pretty high volume capability.

I would say their technical support is a ten. They are really good. They support you right from the beginning with training and make you comfortable adopting the product.

Barracuda was actually the first product like this that we utilized. We were looking for a product to take care of spam and email security. In our comparison, we found this product to be the solution for us at the time.

The initial setup is pretty straight forward as long as you pay attention when you get the training. Record that training session.

The pricing for the product is fine. It matches what we can budget to the functionality we expect.

What other advice do I have?

Security Gateway is simple to implement. Make sure that multiple people on staff are trained in setting it up. In other words, you do not want to just be relying on one individual in the organization to be the only one who is able to set it up. Always have a backup, or even two. That is especially important to us as an MSP.

One more thing would be to pay attention when you first onboard with the solution. Barracuda puts you through some training with one of their technicians. I think it is important that you record those training sessions to keep for your reference. What will happen if you do not take advantage of recording it is that after the first two or three installs, you will be on your own. If you make sure you make a copy of your training session with them, then you can always refer back to it.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate this product overall as a nine-of-ten. The reason I would give it a nine is just that one area where we do not have the ability to manually go in and modify some of the settings. Until we can do that, it is still a great product but it is not quite a ten.

Other