Barracuda Email Security Gateway Review

Rock solid and great at blocking spam

What is our primary use case?

This solution is my spam filter and it's tied to my exchange server. All SMTP traffic goes through Barracuda. I've just started using their cloud service and I'm looking possibly at their firewall solutions also because I can tie all these things together in the cloud. We are customers of Barracuda and I work as CIO at a municipality in the States.

How has it helped my organization?

If you have raw spam, this solution is going to catch it. They are consistent and they're good. Spam itself is not getting through, although email with links that deliver spam can bring it in if users are not being diligent. My biggest concern is educating my end users that just because an email looks like it is from someone you know, doesn't mean you should open it. My mantra is: If you weren't expecting it, delete it.

What is most valuable?

I like the frontend blocking of spam which is what it is designed to do. I like the Dashboard view, it gives me a great overview of everything. Also, it is rich in configuration options which allow for some very fine tuning. Overall, It's been very beneficial.

What needs improvement?

In the past, I would have said that the reporting could be improved, but they've gotten better at that in recent versions. Although I don't use reporting routinely, it's something I do when I need to check something or pull some kind of statistical report. Also, I had some difficulty in the past with the system getting swamped and overwhelmed trying to process all incoming traffic. The appliance didn't have the resources to keep up. Obviously the network is getting more and more spam and virus traffic which adds to the problem. Since I had a service contract with Barracuda, they were able to resolve the issue by shipping me newer replacement hardware with significantly more computing resources. This was all at no cost.

I've been using this solution for six years.

This solution is rock solid.

It scales quite well as far as I can tell. I've got a box that is more than adequate for my environment. I've have about 250 end users so I'm not huge environment. We're a municipality, and all end user email routes through Barracuda regardless of which department they are in.

The technical support is excellent. Response time is great.

I think the initial setup was pretty straightforward. As I mentioned previously, we recently upgraded to the current version, and in the process our hardware was upgraded because we were running on older Pentium processors. It all went quite smoothly with support from Barracuda.

What other advice do I have?

I think it's a good product, it's rated fairly highly when I look at reviews.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10, no reason for not giving a 10 than, nothing is perfect.

More Barracuda Email Security Gateway reviews from users
...who work at a Energy/Utilities Company
...who compared it with InterScan [EOL]
Learn what your peers think about Barracuda Email Security Gateway. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,281 professionals have used our research since 2012.