Barracuda Email Security Gateway Review

Good scalability, but inadequate reporting

What is our primary use case?

We always use the latest version.

We use it as an email gateway.

What needs improvement?

Barracuda has shown difficulty in providing us with the solutions we sought. We have found ourselves sending many emails to their outside domain. They have not demonstrated the reporting system we required when reports were sought.

As the solution is cloud-based there is no need to install anything on-premises. Some of the settings we have configured on the cloud and done integration with our domain server. Once integrated with the system, all the mails pass solely through the gateway. What we see is that there are times when genuine mails are blocked and others when spam mail makes its way through.

We have been using Barracuda Email Security Gateway for the past year.

For the moment the solution is good. It is scalable.

Technical support is very quick, However, we have generally found them to lack the solution we need when we have contacted them.

As the solution is cloud-based there is no need to install it in each and every endpoint.

While installation was easy, it was not necessary to do for each and every session, as its parameters are solely within the email gateway.

The vendor assisted us with deployment.

There is a five to six person supporting staff which helps us with deployment and maintenance. These consist of managers, administrators and engineers.

We paid for an annual license.

We did not evaluate other products before going with this solution.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is deployed on cloud.

There are 300 people making use of the solution in our organization.

All solutions have their pros and cons and there is no such thing as a perfect solution. We cannot customize the solution according to our needs and, consequently, its reporting capabilities are lacking. For this reason I rate Barracuda Email Security Gateway as a seven out of ten.

More Barracuda Email Security Gateway reviews from users
...who work at a Energy/Utilities Company
...who compared it with Symantec Messaging Gateway
Learn what your peers think about Barracuda Email Security Gateway. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
534,468 professionals have used our research since 2012.