Barracuda Email Security Gateway Review

Straightforward to deploy and the logging feature has been helpful

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for filtering and enhancing our email.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has helped to significantly reduce the amount of junk email that we receive.

What is most valuable?

We really like the logging system in this solution. It is easy to track down email messages that a user has misplaced, or didn't realize that they got. Perhaps it came in but was wrong because the sender had the wrong email alias, for example. You can track down and find things like this.

What needs improvement?

The pricing of this solution could be improved.

The reports are standard, and it would be nice to be able to customize them.

It would be nice if the appliance itself was scalable, rather than having to replace it.

Approximately nine years.

This solution is fairly stable. We have had the appliance replaced a couple of times due to some kind of failure, but over nine years, you're bound to replace it once or twice. When this happened, they were pretty good with the turnaround and getting it back to us.

I would say that this specific appliance is not scalable. While the product, overall, is scalable, we would have to accomplish this by moving up to a different model.

We have approximately two thousand email users who are using the filtering, blocking, and quarantine features. We receive about ten thousand pieces of email per day.

We have been in contact with technical support over the span of its lifetime. They are really good at helping us and working through problems, or trying to fix the appliance when needed.

When a replacement is needed they send us a new box and we ship back the old one. This is part of the additional coverage that we purchased.

We did not use another solution prior to this one.

The initial setup was straightforward and fairly simple. We were able to do it without support from the vendor. It took us approximately two days to get it up and going.

Our ISP had to set up a DNS NET at the time it was deployed.

We handled the implementation in-house after purchasing it from a reseller. It was myself, and I had some assistance from our ISP at the time of the deployment.

There are three or four of us who handle the management and administration.

The cost of this solution is based on the size of the product that you buy and the number of users. In our case, it is just based on staff.

Our licensing fees are approximately $4,000 per year, and this includes updates for the antivirus and spam signatures. They are always trying to keep up with the spammers.

We were looking for something that was easy for us to deploy and would work. We did evaluate at least one other solution before selecting this one.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product. It works, it's reliable, and it's helpful. We feel that it is worth the money that has been spent on it.

Overall, the product is effective, but the scalability is limited.