Barracuda Email Threat Scanner Review

Works perfectly and filters almost 95% of spam mails

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution to filter spam mails. We have taken a rental subscription for 200 users from an IT service provider. We are using the latest version.

What is most valuable?

The main benefit that I am getting from this solution is that it filters almost 95% of my spam mail.

• Spam Scoring, with Block or Quarantine actions
  • IP Address Filtering
  • Sender Domain Filtering
  • Sender Email Address Filtering
  • Recipient Filtering
  • Content Filtering (Subject, Header and Body)
  • Attachment Filtering
  • Fingerprint Analysis
  • Image Analysis
  • Intent Analysis

Our most of communication tool was email. phishing mail was the biggest headache for me. So I decided to go with Barracuda email security gateway

Now, our infrastructure is safer, and as an IT person, I feel relaxed.

What needs improvement?

We had an incident last month where the PCs of one or two colleagues, who were outside of our factory and were using a defined network, got infected by some kind of malware. From their PCs, more than 1,000 mails were produced per hour, causing spamming on our mail server's IP. Barracuda blocked the full mail communication. Only one to two accounts were compromised, and for that, Barracuda blocked all incoming and outgoing mails. It created a great problem for other users and our office activities. Our mail server was partially blocked for three days, which we did not expected and suffered a lot.

Technically, only one or two accounts should be blocked if those are compromised. When a domain or IP is blocked, communication becomes tough, mails are bounced by receiver server. It may be a configuration issue at our provider's end, where there was a mistake in configuring Barracuda. It could also be a problem related to Barracuda.

I have been using this solution for the last six months.

It is stable. I am very satisfied with its performance. It did block some mails that should not have been blocked. At that time, we had to manually change the list of blocked mails.

It scales well. We have 200 users.

I have not contacted them much.

We did not have to set it up on our premises. We have a rental subscription from a provider. They take the user list and configure the users in their server. We just had to change our DNS routing so that the incoming or outgoing emails go through the Barracuda server. Before using Barracuda, our server IP was the main IP for mail communication, but now the routing has changed. The incoming mails come through the Barracuda server, and the outgoing mails go via the Barracuda server after passing our server.

Barracuda Email Threat Scanner is provided by our IT service provider "MetroNet Bangladesh", who also provides Internet and Data link Support support for us. The licensing fee that we pay to our provider is $60.97 per month, that is, $0.33 per user per month. There is no additional cost.

Before taking the subscription from our provider, I researched the market for Barracuda. The cost is between $9,000 to $11,000 for three years. After that, the same cost is there for renewal. If you have 200 to 500 users, it is better to take a subscription from a provider. If you have more than 500 users, then you can own the Barracuda server through the cloud or on-premises deployments. It is costly for a lesser number of users. If you increase the usage or the number of users, then the overall cost decreases.

They can reduce the cost of Barracuda Email Threat Scanner for a small number of users. We could not and would not have used this solution if we had not got the renting or subscription option.

What other advice do I have?

It works perfectly and decreases the spam counter by more than 95%.

I would rate Barracuda Email Threat Scanner a nine out of ten. I would rate it a ten if the cost was more user friendly for smaller user groups, and they improved on blocking only one or two compromised accounts rather than the whole server.

Private Cloud