Barracuda Message Archiver Review

Easy to use with helpful email backup and search capabilities, but it needs to support SIEM integration

What is our primary use case?

We use this product to keep a copy of all of the users' emails, be them inbound or outbound. The main objective is from a compliance perspective, where we can provide access to our auditors. It also allows for e-discovery, where we can search for emails, and it also acts as a backup solution.

If someone deletes their email then we have the option to recover it.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to recover a deleted email. We can even recover an entire mailbox, if necessary.

Indexing and the search capability is very fast. When we search for something then it only takes a few moments to find the data or email.

What needs improvement?

Integration with ArcSight would be very helpful.

The user mailbox management is poor. For example, if I want to restore a complete mailbox then it doesn't keep the structure of the inbox intact. When the emails are restored, they are in a single folder that we have to extract and restructure. At times, the restoration doesn't work properly.

It would be difficult to opt-out of the services because it would require the transfer of a lot of data from the cloud to on-premises storage.

Technical support should be more available to the Indian market.

I have been using the Barracuda Message Archiver for just over one year.

We use this solution a daily basis and it is very stable.

The Barracuda Message Archiver is scalable. Our entire organization, more than 7,000 email boxes, is supported. The only challenge I think will be moving data from this product to some other services, such as to our own system. If we want to replace it with another vendor then it might be difficult because it would require moving 45 terabytes of data.

The support is not well oriented for Indian customers because of the time zone. It is not available on a 24/7 basis.

Prior to Barracuda, we did not use a different product for the same purpose.

The initial setup was very simple. It took two to three days to deploy and then some time for configuration after that.

We implemented on our own but we received some help directly from Barracuda during the deployment. The partner did not have the right technical capability to assist us.

As it is a cloud service, maintenance is handled by Barracuda.

We are satisfied with the pricing and the service is bundled so there are no costs in addition to the standard licensing fees.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, the solution is good. It is easy to use and reasonably priced. My main complaints are about the disorganized restoration, lack of integration with our SIEM, and technical support.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

Other