Barracuda SSL VPN Review

Great flexibility with the added advantage of being a stand alone system

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to provide remote users access to our network resources. We created profiles for those users allowed to access the company systems and included some security blocks such as not copying, printing or sharing files. It means they have access and can work on the system, but nothing can be taken from the system including active directory, security issuers and such things. We're customers of Barracuda.

What is most valuable?

This solution is valuable because it's a stand alone system and doesn't disconnect. It functions well. It's a good software and good system. I believe it's a better product than Cisco. All our clients working with Barracuda are satisfied.

What needs improvement?

The reporting could be improved. I'm having some issues with it related to the VPN because the VMs we now have on premise seem to not send the Luxor, the reporting tool. We're working on that with the support team. I want to be able to give it to the HR and the finance departments but if I can't get the logs it's a problem. I need the VPN specifically because due to the COVID issue, I need to provide reports to HR so that they know how to pay staff.

It's an excellent solution from a stabilizing point of view.

This solution is scalable.

I've had regular contact with technical support. They are good, but sometimes it can take weeks to solve an issue. One problem I faced took two weeks to be solved, and it shouldn't be like that.

Cisco is a good VPN but there are some security issues that we can't implement in Cisco and AnyConnect. In some areas of Cisco, I have to abide by their tools and it's not that flexible. In Barracuda I can make my own rules. From a security perspective, I can change things the way I want. Security notices in Cisco are very secure and it has good features, it's jut that some of them cannot be modified in the system. Cisco reporting doesn't give me what I want such as when a user has logged in or out. It can provide the duration of the connection but not the specific times.

The initial setup is very simple, it probably takes a few hours.

Licensing is on an annual basis and we usually take it for three years. For now, we have a testing license.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend this solution although the reporting needs to be fixed. It's a simple, stable and scalable solution.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.