Barracuda Web Application Firewall Review

Secure Internet Access with automatic content filtering

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution as the firewall, the security, secure internet access, and protection from outside access.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the automatic content filtering.

What needs improvement?

The usability of the interface could be improved.

The interface is not easy to use or to configure.

A feature that could be very powerful would be the capability to provide the monitoring of the security analogies, and proactive alerts in case of potential issues.

The firewall protects and logs, but does not provide you with an analogy on that data.

I have been using this solution for approximately nine years.

The availability and stability are very high.

We have one hundred employees within this company using this solution.

The appliance can grow only in the stack, but it's not an upgradable design, it is a closed appliance.

It is unadjustable in performance, in growing or increasing.

The technical support is provided by the vendor. A ticket is opened with the vendor and they provide support.

We have direct contact via email and phone.

Because we have to repeat the issue more than once before we get support, I would rate them an eight out of ten.

Previously with a different vendor, we used many solutions. As a result, I have experience with many different solutions such as WatchGuard, Cisco, Cisco LEAP, Cisco Tools, SELFAS, and Fortinet.

The initial setup was both simple and complex. WatchGuard is easier to set up than Barracuda, but not as complex. It's something that works and you can start.

The set up is a medium level of complexity, but if I had to choose between simple and hard, then I would say the initial set up is hard.

The implementation was anywhere from one to two days for the full implementation of all services.

It took one technician to deploy this solution. A couple of technicians for maintenance is required approximately four to five days a year.

I am an integrator and the implementation was done by myself with the help of my technicians and colleagues that are certified in different technologies.

Our licensing fees are paid annually and the cost is between €600 and €800 (approximately $665.00 to $885.00 USD).

It's a full-featured set and all of the capabilities are included.

I am not aware of any additional costs.

Before choosing Barracuda we evaluated WatchGuard.

What other advice do I have?

One of my previous colleagues suggested this solution, they advised me of the company and the technologies.

I would recommend this solution.