Barracuda Web Filter Review
Easy to use for whitelisting or blocking a web address but won't scale to our new platform

What is our primary use case?

We're using it for web filtering and blocking of sites that we don't want to allow traffic to.

For the most part, it's working okay.

How has it helped my organization?

It's the ease of use in either blocking or whitelisting a web address. That is the plus.

What is most valuable?

The ease of use. It's pretty easy to use and navigate the UI.

What needs improvement?

Our problem is that it's a virtual appliance and we're moving to a new platform and, for whatever reason, we can't move it as it is. That's why we are looking for a different option. When we were migrating our virtual machines from the old to the new system, we determined rather quickly that it wouldn't migrate over.

Relatively, the stability is pretty good, as far as our history goes.

The problem lies in the fact that it's not able to be moved to our new system and the Barracuda engineers couldn't figure it out either. It's definitely a flaw in design there.

We were in touch with tech support in our attempts to move Barracuda to our new platform, unsuccessfully. I would rate technical support at six out of 10. If they're not able to help us get their product over to a new platform, that's not very good. It's a little bit frustrating.

I inherited it without any documentation as to how it was set up, so that could be part of the problem.

I wasn't part of the evaluation process when Barracuda was chosen. However, in looking for a new solution, IT Central Station's report was the first documentation I pulled down to take a look and see what the top five solutions are. We're starting the process there to vet each and every one of them to see which solution might be the way to go.

For me, the most important criterion when selecting a vendor is support, after the fact.

What other advice do I have?

The overall performance of the product is great. It's just the fact that we can't get the existing solution over to a new platform. The day-to-day operation is pretty easy, being able to whitelist, blacklist, etc. There is just this one sticking point.

We ultimately may go with a newer variation or a cloud-based version of Barracuda, but right now we have an on-prem. That's our sticking point: Part of the team wants to keep it on-prem, and part of the team wants to put it in the cloud.

I would rate Barracuda at seven out of 10, again because support, after the fact, was not able to migrate their product over to a new platform.