Betty Blocks Review

A good integration layer and responsive support

What is our primary use case?

We are implementors. We advise our clients on building applications and doing innovation.

We have a strong belief that no-coding is the future. Betty Blocks is a Dutch no-code platform provider, with a similar background to Mendix, and OutSystems.

In our view, they are very promising because they really go to the no-coding promise, which basically means that a business user could use the platform to build its own applications.

Betty Blocks is taking this concept one step further than Mendix and OutSystems.

What is most valuable?

All these platforms have different areas, you have an integration layer, you have the forms and you have the back-up.

I think the sense of Betty is that they perform, having all of those elements pretty well, and I think that the most crucial one is the front apps.

To have an application look good with something that more or less comes out of a box, that is quite complicated.

If you look at Pega, they are very strong in integrating new technologies such as AI in-depth.

Betty Blocks is sitting within the Microsoft Azure environment.

All these components are separately tuneable, which makes it a very strong platform, and we believe that this should be considered in the enterprise market.

What needs improvement?

In my opinion with all platforms, you will have to make a consensus, because not every functionality will work for every client perfectly well.

In many cases, they make choices where flexibility is a little bit degraded, but if you leave everything open and the flexibility is great then the usability is a little bit less.

It's a better trade-off from Betty Blocks. Also, it's clear the no-code promise will surely decrease the flexibility that you will have. There are some back doors to solve that system.

I would like to see full integration with AI.

It can be integrated but it's not something that comes out of the box. You can't just switch on the machine learning in one of the components of the platform.

I have been acquainted with Betty Blocks for a year and a half.

We have scaled this solution. We had a client with a large volume on a real-time basis that we fully scaled. It's definitely scalable.

It is feasible because the application components are in Azure. From what I understand, you can tune the components instead of the total platform, which makes it very suitable to tune some of the elements of the platform while others are the default.

We have contacted technical support and they are very responsive.

The initial setup was very straightforward.

Licensing is on a yearly basis.

There are several pricing structures at the moment. The pricing structure that we have been working with was based on a number of blocks. (A number of blocks, is a translation of what you use in the platform).

It's a calculation based on how much you put on the platform, and not depending on the number of users or the volume of data, although that is now also possible, especially for the larger clients, where they can have a user or data, based pricing.

Pricing could always be better.

We are struggling sometimes a bit because if you look to a lot of the older shelf solutions, they provide a full solution where a platform or a toolbox is slightly different, but in most cases, it's just as expensive, and you still have to make your own applications.

We have evaluated several solutions but Betty Blocks is our preference. They are a real challenger, and they go one step further and really go for this no-coding. We are strong believers in business users having a platform to make applications.

What other advice do I have?

I can recommend this solution to other users.

I would rate Betty Blocks an eight out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about Betty Blocks, OutSystems, Microsoft and others in Rapid Application Development Software. Updated: July 2021.
522,281 professionals have used our research since 2012.