BeyondTrust Endpoint Privilege Management Review

Good authentification but offers poor technical support and is rather pricey

What is our primary use case?

We primarily offer this solution to our clients. Our clients use it for access. For example, if there is a user who is not from their existing network and he's a contractor, they have to be able to give him the privilege to come inside, otherwise, that person can't access anything internally like a regular end user can. This solution allows them to offer separate privileged user access for specific users.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very fast.

The solution offers good authentification. It makes managing passwords and access easy and ensures that access is granted only to respective people and/or organizations.

BeyondTrust has very good integrations with quite a lot of security vendors such as SailPoint, IBM, FortiGuard, Splunk, etc.

What needs improvement?

There are different vendors that are pretty competitive in terms of features. BeyondTrust is great in some areas, however, CyberArk is as well. The solution needs to continue to add features in order to stay competitive in the market.

Their technical support could be more responsive and helpful.

The solution is quite expensive.

I've been using this solution for one year now.

We don't have any issues with stability. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's not buggy.

The solution offers good scalability and is easy to upgrade as needed.

While I've never been in touch with technical support, my team has in the past.

They can improve their services. That's my understanding based on the feedback I've heard. They are a Gartner leader, and due to this accolade, sometimes they can get a bit lazy when it comes to giving the right support. They are a leader so they take advantage. There are a lot of deals which we have lost due to this kind of attitude.

There are been cases that we are handling that have been going on for a year now. Even though they are an industry leader, they haven't been able to solve a small problem. We have the American University of Dubai struggling to solve a small problem, and it's been one year since one case has been opened with BeyondTrust, and they're not able to solve it. That's far too long.

The initial set up is quite quick. BeyondTrust implementation does not take much time. However, it depends on the complexity of the client. It'll take months sometimes if the customer does not know their requirements. For example, a basic implementation takes 10 to 15 days. However, if there is more access needed it takes months sometimes. Access has to be defined based on the number of end-users. It may take as long as four months or so.

The cost of the solution is very high. As a market leader, they tend to charge a premium. They only provide the product. Technical support is extra, if a company wants to have access to that.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, I'd rate the solution five out of ten.

I would definitely recommend it, however, I would recommend organizations test a couple of solutions based on their requirements. There will be a different requirement for a retail outlet and a different requirement for an oil and gas company.

Even though it is privileged remote access, different accesses most likely need to be granted. If somebody is a software developer, and somebody is just for support, they will need different types of access. Whether this solution offers that a company needs depends on different requirements from different end-users.

**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Distributor
More BeyondTrust Endpoint Privilege Management reviews from users
...who compared it with CyberArk PAS
Learn what your peers think about BeyondTrust Endpoint Privilege Management. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
457,209 professionals have used our research since 2012.