BeyondTrust Password Safe Review

A stable and scalable solution with good monitoring, vaulting, and session recording functionalities

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for vaulting and proxying the admin session. It is not yet implemented. We will implement it at the beginning of 2021.

What is most valuable?

Session recording, password rotation, and password vaulting are the most valuable features.

What needs improvement?

Its documentation can be improved. Its documentation is currently complicated, and it is not good. It needs to be better.

Their technical support can also be improved. It is not bad, but it can be better.

Its stability is pretty good.

It is very scalable. We started with three different sites to implement this product, and we, for sure, will implement it for the fourth site. It is easy to install any kind of component inside this environment.

Their technical support is not that bad, but it can be improved.

I use CyberArk and BeyondTrust. In terms of functionality and how they work, they are pretty close, but I prefer BeyondTrust. For vaulting, I like CyberArk a little bit more. For all other things, such as session recording and proxy, I like how BeyondTrust works. To proxy a session on Linux or Unix with CyberArk, you need to create an account each time on the remote site or the device to which you want to connect. BeyondTrust is different. You use a Windows machine, so you can connect with an AD account. It could be a functional account, a privilege account, or any other kind of account, but you use the same account instead of using a new one each time. Monitoring or auditing is easier with BeyondTrust than CyberArk. BeyondTrust is three times less expensive than CyberArk.

It is complex, but it is not only about the product. You need to have good governance and guidelines for password management and session recording and for proxying all those sessions. The process before implementing the product involves more work than setting up the application. It took us one year to design and do some testing in a non-prod environment. We will start the projects and deployment at the beginning of 2021.

It has subscription-based licensing. BeyondTrust is three times less expensive than CyberArk.

What other advice do I have?

You need to be very clear about how to implement vaulting or the session recording mechanism. If you don't go with an external partner to help you with that, it can very difficult to have a solid implementation of such solutions, whether it is CyberArk, Thycotic, BeyondTrust, or any other solution. Just because you installed these solutions doesn't mean that they would resolve 100% of your work. You need to have some processes for such applications, and you need to do some homework first. With the help of an external consulting company that knows how to implement such solutions, you can progress very fast.

I would rate BeyondTrust Password Safe an eight out of ten.

7.0
More BeyondTrust Password Safe reviews from users
...who compared it with CyberArk Enterprise Password Vault
Find out what your peers are saying about BeyondTrust, CyberArk, Thycotic and others in Enterprise Password Managers. Updated: January 2021.
464,594 professionals have used our research since 2012.
1 Comment

author avatarreviewer1324719 (PAM Architect at a tech services company with 11-50 employees)
Top 5LeaderboardReal User

I would concur on just about every point. The recent purchase of BeyondTrust by Bomgar is the likely culprit to your dissatisfaction comments and I am hopeful they will resolve soon while the dust settles. It is discouraging when very little planning stalls an implementation of a PAM where 3-6 months of preparatory work yields a world of difference in the finished product. Proper engineering documentation also yields significant benefit as the peer review processes flush out many missed aspects.