BeyondTrust Privileged Remote Access Review

A simple, stable, and secure solution that is FIPS compliant and is easy and quick to deploy

What is our primary use case?

I have a hundred different use cases. They're all different because every customer is different. One of the top use cases is where a third-party vendor needs to internally access one of the servers or applications.

What is most valuable?

Its security, simplicity, and ease of deployment and maintenance are the most valuable. It is FIPS compliant, so it goes through severe penetration testing every one year or two years. They have to maintain this compliance. It is very safe.

Customers have been using it in the last eight years because of the simplicity of getting it deployed quickly. Most of the people using the solution had been hacked already, so they needed it quickly. As compared to the other solutions in the market, it can be turned on in production very quickly. You don't really need to have a server. It can be deployed very rapidly on VMware or Hyper-V, and you don't need to do an installation. It is a kind of an all-included package that you just deploy in a VM environment. It is basically a VM that is specifically built for a customer. The way the PRA data solutions work is that you need to build them for each customer because of being hard-coded with their SSL certificate, their web page name, and all that.

What needs improvement?

It would be very nice if it has an enterprise vault. Currently, it can interact with Password Safe, which is a separate solution and equivalent to Thycotic Secret Server. Instead of having Password Safe as a separate entity, they should combine it with BeyondTrust Privileged Remote Access. They have done it in some way, but it is not an enterprise tech solution.

I have been using this solution for eight years.

It is very stable. In eight years, I've never seen a bug.

Our clients are large businesses.

I used to work there. I know this stuff by heart, so I don't need to call them.

It is easy to set up. The complex part is to explain all the beneficial features and functionality to the customer because it can pretty much do everything. Discussing the environment and use cases is where you spend most of the time before you do the deployment.

Its deployment can be done very quickly. It can be deployed within 24 hours, which is useful if there is any hacking or breach. After that, you can add more complexity to it and configure it for a use case.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate BeyondTrust Privileged Remote Access a nine out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about BeyondTrust, Citrix, TeamViewer and others in Remote Access. Updated: July 2021.
521,817 professionals have used our research since 2012.