BigFix Review

It's easy to use, gives you great visibility into your environment, customization of your reports, and the community of users that you can pull experience and knowledge from.

What is most valuable?

I like the overall usage of it. It's easy to use, gives you great visibility into your envionment, customization of your reports, and the community of users that you can pull experience and knowledge from. So that's one of the main advantages for using BigFix.

How has it helped my organization?

It has definitely improved our patch process, being able to create compliance reports and hand those to management, executives and so on, and making the overall procedure of managing assets, managing end points, patching endpoints, etc. It has just made everything pretty easy.

What needs improvement?

It's not perfect, but it's close. There are some things here or there, for instance if you get down to the small details, such as if you could deploy and action it a different way, or you selected multiple endpoints and then from there, selected a right-click and deployed something from it, instead of the normal way etc.

If you could select one particular endpoint, look in the applicable fixlets, and then deploy an action from there, it would be helpful.

Of course there are many ways to achieve these aims, and you can't satisfy every possible little change here or there for everybody, these are just things that we've talked about or thrown out there in our environment.

I have been using the solution for almost two years already.

We haven't encountered any issues with stability.

We haven't encountered any issues with scalability.

I've used technical support quite often at times, when either having a small issue, or just trying to set something up new and different, and I've always had great experiences with support. They always either call me back, or email me back, or set up a WebEx to work through an issue. So I've had great experiences with support.

I haven't used a previous solution as such. I worked at a previous company, moved to the current company I am employed at now, and saw the process and how different it was.

Coming from a company that utilized BigFix, I knew that there was a better way here, and I pushed hard to get BigFix implemented. They went on my recommendation, spent the money, and we have it in place. It's been in place for almost two years now.

Regarding installation, I needed help from either support or our actual business partner or vendor. As I was just an operator previously, I never had to set it up from scratch. Actually it was pretty easy. Of course I had help, I had support, but it was nothing that was too difficult to do. Everything went seamlessly, went smoothly, and like I say we have been thoroughly enjoying it for the time we've had it.

What other advice do I have?

Just do it.