BigFix Review

It has one central location to manage all the different platforms that we have.

What is most valuable?

It's easy to manage. It gives me great power over the devices that I manage with very little effort, compared to other products. With other products, it takes a lot more effort just to do the same kind of work.

How has it helped my organization?

It has one central location to manage all the different platforms that we have such as desktop, Windows Servers, Linux Server, Solaris, AIX and zLinux. It's great to be able to manage them all from one central location.

What needs improvement?

The feature that I would like them to implement is for the command line and I know this is probably against the design. We come from the command line and sometimes, you want to talk to the agent in real time. Seems like now with the new BigFix CLI, it's heading in that direction. It's something that we've been craving for, because sometimes you want to just talk to this agent and not have to wait. You just want to discuss things with them and get the result back. That will be great. Still, you have to dance around and probably do some voodoo in order to get that data back. We come from the old framework, in which you send a command and get your return back. This kind of power is gone in BigFix, but we love all the other stuff.

Usually after upgrades, you have some hiccups but they're manageable. It's kind of common between products, after upgrades; either it is a learning curve or it could be a bug and then it's fixed in subsequent patches. So, nothing out of the ordinary, but it scales well.

This solution scales well.

I use the technical support for stubborn kind of issues, that won't go away. However, not as much as for the other products. They're very knowledgeable and it sounds like a different breed with the IBM support.

Actually, we had all the tools and we pulled them out, after which we went to BigFix. The reason why we chose this solution is because the government paid for it.

The setup is very easy. I usually have to tell them how hard it is, but then I can do it within a day. So, this is also a very big feature.

What other advice do I have?

This product is extremely easy. If you've never implemented this type of three-tier architecture tool, then you don't know it. But, for anybody who has carried out such an implementation before, it is very straightforward.

Support is the most crucial criteria while selecting a vendor, because when things hit the wall and everybody's heated and trying to finger-point, you want someone that have the backbone to say, "We'll take care of it." IBM can do that. They never try to say, "No." They take the heat really well and they control it. Big corporations are looking for that kind of security that the company can provide and they're going to put as much resources as needed, so as to get the problem solved.