BigFix Review

Its extensibility is valuable.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the extensibility of the tool. We're able to implement solutions through available APIs and custom solutions. We're able to provide services quickly. We're able to provide services completely.

How has it helped my organization?

Patch management: We've gone from hideous to amazing.

What needs improvement?

A lot of my suggestions have already been submitted through RFEs; some of them involve inspector enhancements in the end point. We've got enhancement requests on the BigFix Inventory side. I know that it's not quite as mature a product as BigFix is.

I think the current tool is fairly robust. We have ways of breaking it, though.

We're pushing the limits of the tool. We've got over 250,000 devices in our environment; probably one of the larger customers. There are a few that are larger. But we're also doing a lot with the tool that I think other customers aren't. We're doing software distribution as well as patch management. We're also doing inventory and software usage analysis. I don't know of too many other customers that are doing that.

Technical support depends on who you get. I deal with some amazing support folks, and then I've dealt with some less-than-amazing support folks.

Our previous tool was the predecessor to BigFix, Tivoli Configuration Manager. We were entitled to migrate from TCM to BigFix, so it was kind of a no-brainer.

I was involved in the initial setup. It was very straightforward. The implementation was pretty easy.

BigFix was on our short list before they were IBM. We decided against them because they were a small company, even though their solution was better than some of their competitors. Management knew it was too much of a risk to go with BigFix. When they finally became IBM, again, it was a no-brainer because they were on the top of our list of vendors satisfying the feature requirements and now they had the backing of IBM, so it made sense.

We looked at Alteryx. We looked at Microsoft SCCM. SCCM was a big competitor.

I don’t have that many criteria when selecting a vendor.

What other advice do I have?

Advice I would give depends on the problem you're trying to solve. I spoke with a number of people at an IBM conference, users who are looking for a solution who are potentially going to install BigFix. I have nothing but good things to say about the tool and the people supporting it.

It's a well-developed tool, supported by people who are passionate about it.