BigFix Review

Being able to see inside every asset that we have and finding those assets are valuable features.

What is most valuable?

• Being able to see inside every asset that we have
  • Finding those assets
  • Being able to deep dive and pull reports of any kind that we want
  • Customizable

If we're looking for some data that is not there natively, we can make it appear in our reports.

How has it helped my organization?

We get audited quite a bit because of PCI compliance. There are a lot of requirements that we have to meet on our endpoints to reach that certification for the compliance. BigFix allows us to see the data and remediate those vulnerabilities quickly and easily.

What needs improvement?

Providing information about areas with room for improvement is tough. I recently attended a roadmap session, and they're pretty much addressing a lot of the stuff we have.

I would like to see more automation, and that's the name of the game. That's our world: automation. I would like to see a way in which we could simplify things even further, so it would be almost like automation on top of automation. It's kind of a funny idea.

But if you have a solution to patch things, then we're going to automate the patching. That makes sense. Then we're going to automate the automation. That's pretty impressive.

When you look at the console of the tool, it is very basic. But basic can be good, too. Too much information is just going to convolute anything. It is just all text-based and it's kind of ugly, but you don't need it to be pretty either.

The stability is great. Any product that can basically run itself, requires minimal intervention, and is self-healing is a great tool.

The scalability is even better because all you have to do is just whip up another server, and boom, you can support another thousand clients. And that takes a whole five minutes.

It's been a few years since we used technical support, but we got direct contact from an engineer right away. He was not just a sales guy, but an actual engineer who came in and worked with us. That was good.

Currently, we have our solution and we put in the BigFix solution. It was all because of the PCI compliance. We got a new security team in and they were completely focused on PCI. The previous solution didn't quite meet the requirements that made it easy. Now with BigFix, it's a lot more straightforward.

The first setup was complex. The second time was much simpler, when we knew what we were doing.

The first setup was kind of wedged in and we had a very small time frame. It was a brand new tool that we didn't know much about. We also didn't know that we had engagement support available to us. That is why the second setup went smoother.

What other advice do I have?

You've got to do a proof of concept and a proof of technology. Get it in there and see what it can do. But more importantly, as you're putting it in, see how quickly you can do it and then see how easy it is to remediate those vulnerabilities. You'll be amazed.

When it comes to selecting a vendor, it's got to be brand. You have the big names: Microsoft, Oracle, IBM, and all that good stuff. But price has to be considered as well. If you can get a great product at a good price, it's very important.