BigFix Review

The endpoint management capabilities provide vulnerability assessment, compliance, and make sure that they are up to date on multiple platforms.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the endpoint management capabilities of what you can actually control on your endpoints, as far as vulnerability assessment, compliance, and making sure that they are up to date on multiple platforms. One single-user-stop-shop is really awesome.

How has it helped my organization?

A benefit is being able to do it from a single place; whether it's Windows, Linux or Solaris, the user interaction doesn't change for the operators. We can teach one on Windows and one on Solaris to do the same thing. For them it's very simple, because it all looks the same. That why I dig it.

What needs improvement?

Scalability is big for us. To be able to scale faster and quicker, with more people coming in. Probably, more of a cloud initiative presence would be good, possibly as a SaaS, that would be amazing. Yeah, I think that's what we are looking for.

Stability is solid. Very, very solid. We rarely have issues and if there are, it was usually due to old architecture issues, but we've taken care of that and since then, we really haven't had any.

Scalability could be better. I know they're improving it. They are talking about it. They preached about it a lot at a recent IBM conference, specifically. We are kind of looking forward to that.

Technical support is getting better. About five years ago, it was horrible. Over the last couple of years, it's gotten better; more engagement and more knowledge transfer, it seems like, to the first-tier level support for IBM.

I came into the company and it was already there. So, I'm not sure about previous solutions.

I was not involved in the initial setup.

What other advice do I have?

It is a highly effective tool if you're cross-platform. It really gets the job done simply.

I really do dig it. I had worked with it previously, got a different job, not using it. After a little bit I came back and just looked for a job that was still using the BigFix tool. I sought out jobs specifically looking for it.

Knowledge of the tool is important when selecting a vendor. Anyone can come and take you out to lunch, or wine and dine you. That's fine, they all do it. But to be able to have someone walk up to you and know how the tool actually functions is most important to me. I don't know which vendors were evaluated.