BigFix Review

What is most valuable?

Software distribution and patch management are the most valuable. Patch management is the native first usage of this product. Bulletin and Security Update are ready to use. Software deployment is fast and the product can be tuned for poor bandwidth network.

How has it helped my organization?

This product has massively reduced the wasted time for a technician to deploy or upgrade a security patch or a software version. With only one technician, you can deploy a large application in less 24 hours (Office, SAP, AutoCAD) in all your computers worldwide. We have used this product to upgrade Office 2000 to 2010 and now Office 365, for 80,000 users.

What needs improvement?

The console interface is not friendly, and requires training before using it in production. The levels of permissions are too complex to share the product with other teams. The technician must have all permissions to work easily. There is no web interface.

I have been using BigFix for three years.

We had problems with stability from the first use. There was network bandwidth outage when we deployed a huge application or a lot of security patches. This problem was solved by specific client settings and their management, and some changes to the architecture of the product.

Customer service and technical support people have a high level of knowledge. The forum and knowledge database are very interesting and up to date.

I previously used Symantec Altiris v6.5. We stopped using this product because the maintenance cost of the hardware infrastructure was too high. This solution requires high numbers of servers, as opposed to IBM BigFix.

The initial setup was straightforward. Installation was easy and a basic configuration is enough to start to work locally in the same network. But it is more complex when you need to deploy it worldwide.

Our implementation was done through a vendor partner team. My advice: choose a partner with real experience on this product. The settings and design of this product are not complex but require a great deal of experience to adapt it to your IT ecosystem.

I cannot reply about ROI.

I can estimate the reduced cost of servers maintenance to approximatively $500,000.

What other advice do I have?

During deployment and design of this product you must involve the services that will use the product. You have to change the mindset (concept) of your team if you used another product in the past.