BigFix Review

The architecture for patching and the 100% correct reporting makes it stand apart from other solutions

What is most valuable?

Patch is a given and it is the flagship feature since the late 1990s. The architecture for patching and the 100% correct reporting makes BigFix stand apart from other solutions. Software Distribution is another powerful and strong feature that automates deploying software and saves a ton of time. The BigFix framework also gives you the ability to remove software and updates files, like configuration.

How has it helped my organization?

Patching is completed usually within a day or two. 98% of the endpoints are patched in the first pass no matter if they are all the corporate or traveling.

What needs improvement?

The new EDR (Endpoint Detection and Response) feature, Detect, is new and still needs a few updates. This is close to being a great addition to help when an attack has occurred.

Five years.

No stability issues. If relays are not configured correctly, then this can cause a performance issue. An occasional health check is needed to ensure the solution is running at peak performance.

BigFix can scale up to 250,000 endpoints on one server.

The deep technical resources are very good and can isolate an issue very quickly.

We started with SCCM and decided to switch because of inaccurate reporting, limited OS support, and we were unable to patch remote endpoints.

Initial setup is very simple. With the Web User Interface, it makes the learning curve very short.

I would stay with the Managed Virtual Server license model, which is a 1-to-1 license per OS whether it is virtual or physical.

Yes. SCCM, LANDESK, Altiris, and Tanium.

What other advice do I have?

You will not be impressed with the looks of the reports, but they are accurate. The BigFix.me forum is a great place to learn from others.