BigFix Review

A single tool for patch compliance, security compliance & software compliance of an entire compute infrastructure

What is our primary use case?

How has it helped my organization?

Patch compliance has improved. Using software distribution, the software distributed in the environment has been standardized. With the same software versions across the environment, compatibility issues have come down with a reduction in helpdesk tickets arising out of different software versions. There is also a check on software assets by means of implementing the software inventory module and a great deal of software compliance has been achieved.

What is most valuable?

Patch Management for a variety of operating systems makes it valuable as we can rely on a single tool for obtaining patch compliance of the entire compute infrastructure. This also ensures that we do not need to have different skills for different OS patch requirements.

What needs improvement?

• Relay selection and availability needs improvement as an incorrect relay selected can cause network chokes.
  • Client reporting to the console is a minor issue but definitely needs improvement.
  • Reporting needs to be enhanced with maybe a simple GUI based report generator with drag and drop features to create a custom report. The current mechanism is a bit clunky by use of filters.

More than five years.

It is very stable.

No scalability issues. We have customers ranging from 250 endpoints to over 100,000 endpoints.

Customer support is excellent, but involving customer support and crossing the initial hurdles of getting past the first level of support personnel sometimes takes a while. But once it lands with the right support people the support is excellent. Level 1 support from IBM definitely needs improvement.

No other tools were used.

The setup is pretty straightforward provided you have planned well for the deployment. Know the environment well prior to deployment: The architecture needs to be drawn up prior to deployment. Plan the deployment of main server, database server, BigFix application(s), relays, console, and finally the deployment of clients.

We are a BigFix vendor. We rate ourselves as excellent subject matter experts. Given the exposure and experience of handling fairly large deployments on Bigfix, we have gathered vast knowledge in the Patch, Security & Software compliance space.

ROI is pretty quick if you consider Security & Software Compliance as your primary use cases as Patch Management and Software Inventory Management. It has worked out to be under six months in many of our deployments. You may not be able to directly attach a ROI for security, but given the fact that Bigfix has been able to address many vulnerabilities that arise out of non patching makes Bigfix a compelling investment

Plan well to ensure you have a stable and scaleable deployment. If you have a need for many use cases: Patch Management, Software Distribution, Remote Control, OS Deployment, Software Asset Management, Vulnerability Management, Security Compliance, and Server Automation, make sure you prioritize your requirements before deployment. You should go about meeting the requirements in phases, not try and burn the entire ocean.

No other products evaluated.

What other advice do I have?

Get started with BigFix.