BigFix Review

Enables us to build a robust infrastructure but isn't user-friendly

What is our primary use case?

I have various use cases for this solution. It has many varieties of infrastructure. For example, if you have a very high bandwidth in your network infrastructure, it will work very well. If it doesn't have an internet connection, it also works very well. If you have a lower bandwidth within your offices, it will also work very well. This is lacking in many other tools.

How has it helped my organization?

My company provides support services to a lot of customers and companies. We have reduced a huge amount of man-effort. Along with the man-effort, we have reduced the timeline to fix the compliance and security gaps. We have an unbroken record. The documentation clearly says that we have done the patching of newly released patches, including Microsoft and third-party patches, in up to 80% of the computers, within 72 hours of the release of the production. That was a very massive benefit that we have seen. When I talk about the 80% endpoints, it is 100 or 200. I am talking about 25,000 endpoints.

What is most valuable?

There are 250,000 endpoint scans that can be handled by one single server. We can build a robust infrastructure within BigFix, which is a feature that other tools are lacking. Second, you can customize the tool. We can use the tool according to how we need it. By using IBM BigFix, we can get whatever we need done. All tools will have limitations but when compared to other solutions, BigFix has significantly fewer limitation. In terms of scalability, the limitations are in the data transfer from the main server to the regional servers, or regional endpoints, or the end users. It provides various aspects to what is endpoint protection management.

What needs improvement?

The first and foremost thing that I would like to see improved is the insight into the right-click menu context itself. The second thing is that IBM has sold IBM BigFix to another company. That's negative feedback that we can give them. For the next quarter, BigFix will not be a part of IBM. That's another drawback that we are going to see.

I would request them to build robots, or an easier way for integration with other tools, like ITSM tools.

More than five years.

When it comes to stability, it is very stable and it has a robust infrastructure.

I have a good grip on this solution so I don't need to contact technical support for anything.

When considering a solution the criteria we consider are the features, whether the specific tool provided by that vendor will cater to our services or our requirements. Second, we look into the credibility of the OEM. Third, is the cost.

The initial setup depends on the network infrastructure. Sometimes it will be very easy to implement, and sometimes it may become complex. I did the entire solution implementation in four hours but I took almost four months with another implementation because of the complexity. Sometimes it's straightforward, sometimes it's complex.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an eight out of 10. It has great scalability and customization. It also has one console that can be used for many endpoint management tasks. I deducted two points because BigFix is not a brand that you can just use. It is not very user-friendly. You need to have some training before you use the tool.