BigFix Review

Easy to use, cheaper than the value, and there is tons of support from the BigFix community

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for patch management and software distribution.

How has it helped my organization?

Initially, for the customers that we consult for,  their IT Security and IT Operations units were working in silos, especially with regards to patch management and vulnerability and compliance reporting. BigFix effectively bridged the gap between both teams while providing a single robust reporting interface for both teams.

What is most valuable?

Compliance is the most valuable feature. It allows you to build custom policy checklist while leveraging recommended industry security compliance checklists e.g DISA-STIG, CIS, PCI-DSS

What needs improvement?

Upgrading from an Evaluation license to a production license is not error free. Managed endpoints still gets stuck with the evaluation masthead and as such would not let you execute actions outside the BigFix management client maintenance actions. This needs to be improved

It's very scalable. The highest I did was between 9000 to 11,000 networks and I didn't lose any performance with that.

I initially onboarded with Microsoft SCCM. The user interface leaves a lot to be desired, performance impact as you go above 10,000 endpoints and also maintenance tasks like setting up of distribution points are not available at the click of a button.

The initial setup is straight forward. I deployed it in around three weeks. I started with installing the servers and the primary relay, then I installed 2 relays per subnet,  made the relays deployment points and then installed the BigFix clients locally from the deployment points.

Compliance, and lifestyle are a bit pricey especially to customers that get SCCM included as part of their ELA. It's makes convincing harder.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise someone considering this product to go for it. It's easy to use, cheaper than the value, and there is tons and tons of support from the BigFix community. With almost every challenge we have someone who has encountered it, and we will have a solution right away.

I would rate it an eight out of ten. To make it a ten they should improve on the issues stated above